Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? How confusing - ok I hear alot of you experienced beardie keepers are not fans of calci sand - but when I go my beardie a few days ago - I bought the complete set up.... which included substrate... yes calci-sand. The viv I picked my new little friend from was set up with calci-sand.

I did say to the owner of the shop that I had researched BDs before taking the plunge and buying - and that I had heard of impaction problems but he insisted that it was fine.

I will happily remove the calci sand from my viv - but am worried about using newspaper/kitchen roll with all the lights and heatmat in fear of causing a fire.

I read you can use bran??? what kind? Where do I buy it?

Please please advise. I want to get it right. :?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - forgot to mention

12 weeks

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hi

Simply put, the place you got your set up makes more money from calci sand.

Sand is tiny bits of rock. rock can not be digested, and in smaller animals it gets caught up in the gut and builds up until the intestines are blocked. This will cause death unless you spot it quickly and get treatment from a vet.

Now, animals need calcium, and they know it. So if they happen along some calcium on the floor, chances are they may well lick it up.

Along with the calcium comes the sand !

I understand ONLY 2% of calci cand is digestable, the other 98% could well end up stuck in your pets tummy, esp with younger animals.

K/roll is fine as long as the temps are right at basking height, the floor temp will be lower, but there are many other types of substrates you can use, just search on here and you will be spoilt for choice.

Good luck

Tony

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i agree with purejurassic, never use calci sand, i read an article on a site where calci sand didnt even digest in conc HCL or conc NaOH,

for a beardie that young, you cant really use loose substrate, you can use shelf lino, tiles, slate, repti carpet, or paper towl sohuld be fine.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
lekkie said:
personally i would never use calci sand too many risks come with it i would recommend astro turf in the long run it works out cheaper coz u jus take it out clean it and put it back it looks nice too

yeah this a great idea, I am using this at the moment for my baby bosc and baby bt skink, they love it! I also got mine free as you can send off for free samples to a number of sites on the net and you end up with enough samples for a few tanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am using something called Zoo Med Cage Carpet. It is absorbent, can't be eaten, doesn't irritate their skin, doesn't snag on their claws (I have agamas, not a BD), is easy to spot clean and has the advantage of being washable. Can be used with a heat mat, no problem. You get 2 carpets in a pack & they come in sizes which suit most vivs. They come in Brown, Green & Blue. I covered the base of my 3ft x 12in viv nicely & have never looked back.
To find a supplier, I just typed "Zoo Med Cage Carpet" into Google.
:D Good luck with your search for a substrate! :D
:twisted: remember CALCI SAND IS EVIL!! :evil:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i'm okay with the calci sand i buy, home made by the female owner of the rep centre and all her Bds have lived on it fine. funnyly enough i think the opposite to other people on this forum because playsand killed my BD in a matter of weeks, and as i know of its the sand most people buy from argos :?

If i were you i'd go with the majority, who have bad experiences with cali-sand and good with playsand. i was just unlucky with playsand.

seeing as your Bds only 12 weeks i don't think you should take any risk with either sand at all until shes maybe 8months+.

don't quote me on this but paper towels and newspaper won't catch fire within the viv unless they come in contact or close contact with a basking lamp. am i right in saying this?

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
jamez o'mac said:
Purejurrasic it wont let me access the 'Health' Section on your site
is this because the site is still under construction or is it just my computer? :?
Hi there

No, its not your computer, its my lack of time to dedicate to the site, still building it ! (along with a few other sites and club events and feeding and 'poo picking' ....just not enough hours in the day !!

You are welcome to pm me or ask on the forums if you have any specific questions

Thanks for looking though !

Tony

·
Registered
102 Posts
Neonius said:
i'm okay with the calci sand i buy, home made by the female owner of the rep centre and all her Bds have lived on it fine. funnyly enough i think the opposite to other people on this forum because playsand killed my BD in a matter of weeks, and as i know of its the sand most people buy from argos :?

If i were you i'd go with the majority, who have bad experiences with cali-sand and good with playsand. i was just unlucky with playsand.

seeing as your Bds only 12 weeks i don't think you should take any risk with either sand at all until shes maybe 8months+.

don't quote me on this but paper towels and newspaper won't catch fire within the viv unless they come in contact or close contact with a basking lamp. am i right in saying this?
personally, i will never use playsand with my beardie for that exact reason.. and i will always err on the side of caution, and say that non particulate substrates are the best.. they do not post any risks..

and i have used paper towels and paper before, and had no problems with either.. at the moment, im using the underside of lino, and it works fine for me

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your advice

Ok, I hear the majority of you are definately saying get rid of Calci sand - I have just been on to to Surrey Pet Supplies and ordered some Zoo Med Cage Carpet.

Just one fire phobic question - this is totally ok with the lamps and heat mat??? Don't want to burn the house down! :roll:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Thanks for all your advice

Flower said:
Ok, I hear the majority of you are definately saying get rid of Calci sand - I have just been on to to Surrey Pet Supplies and ordered some Zoo Med Cage Carpet.

Just one fire phobic question - this is totally ok with the lamps and heat mat??? Don't want to burn the house down! :roll:
Hi, I've been using repti carpet for about 14 months now with my leo and so far have had no problems, it's so easy to clean and nice not to have to worry about impaction at all. It's never looked like over heating yet (thankfully) - if you're worried you can always try put a rock directly under your basking lamp so that the carpet is only dealing with the heat from the mat and not from above as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quick reply, as I am on my way out of the door to work. Using Cage Carpet with a heat mat: mine is under the viv (a layer of glass between mat & carpet) and the basking rocks for my babies is on top of the carpet where the heatlamps are. Been there over a week now, doesn't feel over warm to touch, no hot smell, no curling up, no charring or melting going on. The Blurb on the pack says it's safe if not in direct contact with a heat source. Hope this helps!
Good luck with everything. I reckon once you get some carpet, you won't look back. Best move I made, personally. :D
Got to dash, Bye!

·
Registered
250 Posts
at 12 weeks just use newspaper, my 4 month one is using it and he is fine with it, it wont burn and i clean it every other day.

then if you want to change to a more nicer looknig substrate changed it when he is older so it causes less problems.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
or lino is good.iv got my leo on it and it looks really cool.you can get a pack of floor lino tiles for 1.99 at most wilkinsons and they come in a good selection of effects.they are easy to replace and clean to. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts