Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im just wondering who on here allows there carpet pythons to naturally incubate their eggs or if most just artificially incubate cos they can count eggs and keep a better eye on them etc.

i myself have not even got a carpet ready to lay yet or even up the duff as it were but im just interested in everyone's opinions on this subject in general no matter the species, am still interested in ya views.

i personally wouldn't mind doing it either way but am leaning more towards if and when she does lay leaving her be and just naturally incubating as i have big enough rubs/poly boxes to convert out into a an incubator or i can just put her into the large incubator that i have inside poly box with lid off.

so anyway post on here would be interesting to here ya thoughts.
:no1:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I was thinking about this yesterday

A guy was selling a pair of children's pythons, of which he allows the female to incubate herself and she has 100% hatch rate over 5 clutches

He said he would give the new owner all the info they need to successfully maternally incubate...

Would love to hear that advice and what's different. I also wondered about really heavy bodied snakes like retics and whether they would crush anything...or are the eggs that much tougher from a retic anyway?

What would happen after so many years in captivity...would eggs from heavy bodied snakes become less robust because we have been taking them away for incubation? I dunno...I do know I'm rambling so I'll shut up :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about this yesterday

A guy was selling a pair of children's pythons, of which he allows the female to incubate herself and she has 100% hatch rate over 5 clutches

He said he would give the new owner all the info they need to successfully maternally incubate...

Would love to hear that advice and what's different. I also wondered about really heavy bodied snakes like retics and whether they would crush anything...or are the eggs that much tougher from a retic anyway?

What would happen after so many years in captivity...would eggs from heavy bodied snakes become less robust because we have been taking them away for incubation? I dunno...I do know I'm rambling so I'll shut up :)
awesome yeh would be some good advice from him, and not sure if the eggs would get weaker cos they are taken away from the mother as long as the mother has a good diet they should be ok and dont think they would crush them as this is how its done in the wild, but would be interesting to see a wild burm or retic incubating.

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
i prefer artificial incubation, that way i can get the eggs off the female, seperate them off and keep an eye on them, but also because i like to get the females feeding again soon after laying to regain size and back up to a decent wait, females that self incubate often wont feed for the entire time they are sitting on eggs, so can lose more weight, i like to get them feeding again and get the weight back on them sooner than that.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me, artificial incubation every time. If we're going to put our females bodies through the stress of producing & laying eggs, then the eggs deserve to be given the best chance of hatching.
very true i spose but if you have the right conditions and mixes of vermiculite etc there should be lil or no problem.
i prefer artificial incubation, that way i can get the eggs off the female, seperate them off and keep an eye on them, but also because i like to get the females feeding again soon after laying to regain size and back up to a decent wait, females that self incubate often wont feed for the entire time they are sitting on eggs, so can lose more weight, i like to get them feeding again and get the weight back on them sooner than that.
i spose yes this would be a large factor for me i dont wanna mess up taking her away from the eggs possibly some getting buggered and possibly stressing her out but at the same time at least can get her eating again and back to weight a lot sooner, and i spose its less overall stress on her system cos she wont be going through a fast and such.
cheers guys :no1: always good to hear everyone's opinions

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
very true i spose but if you have the right conditions and mixes of vermiculite etc there should be lil or no problem.

i spose yes this would be a large factor for me i dont wanna mess up taking her away from the eggs possibly some getting buggered and possibly stressing her out but at the same time at least can get her eating again and back to weight a lot sooner, and i spose its less overall stress on her system cos she wont be going through a fast and such.
cheers guys :no1: always good to hear everyone's opinions
Exactly: victory: And if any problems should arise, it's far easier to spot them in an incubator.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The feeding thing makes total sense

I wondered how the female lays if left to lay in a viv...for instance if the species requires 88f to incubate eggs correctly...will she lay the eggs in the right place?

Obviously she has no idea the eggs will be taken away so will she do everything 'right'? The reason I ask is because I see posts from people who say "I gave my snake a nest box in the hot end but she laid on newspaper down the cool end" etc

Also, will a female leave her eggs at any point or will she just sit on them for the entire period?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly: victory: And if any problems should arise, it's far easier to spot them in an incubator.
true :2thumb:
The feeding thing makes total sense

I wondered how the female lays if left to lay in a viv...for instance if the species requires 88f to incubate eggs correctly...will she lay the eggs in the right place?

Obviously she has no idea the eggs will be taken away so will she do everything 'right'? The reason I ask is because I see posts from people who say "I gave my snake a nest box in the hot end but she laid on newspaper down the cool end" etc

Also, will a female leave her eggs at any point or will she just sit on them for the entire period?
i think females lay at the cooler end as they can shiver to warm the eggs up if needed but if they get too hot they are gonna pop it asap but she casn fully regulate te temps, in my honest opinion a laying box in the cooler end as well as in the middle is good she can check them out before laying. : victory:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts