Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i also posted it on every other forum i go onto, and in all but one i got good replies and people actually wanting to help signing the petition/sending emails but on one forum i got two replies and these were them,

"While I think your cause is a noble one, there are many other wrongs in the world that should be a higher priority. There are kids dropping like flies all over the third world from a lack of food and basic infrastructure, while we in Europe destroy thousands upon thousands of tons of foodstuffs every year just to keep food prices artificially high.

Saxon, is just a dog that has been trained to bite people.
"

and

"No offence, but I really don't have the time to read all of that, so can you sum it up please?"

the first one is the one that got to me worse, do you think there was any need for this, its really got to me.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Jeez... seems a tad harsh... if they're sooooo bothered about their 'higher priority' causes then they should have spent their two minutes doing something for them instead of wasting their valuable time replying in such a negative way to you....

And (afaik) police dogs aren't exactly trained to bite, but to get hold and render the 'bad guy' temporarily harmless, and to release again when told. Police dogs are highly intelligent and stunningly obedient, and it stinks that they want to destroy the poor creature rather than letting it live out its days in peace.

My dogs were also due to be put to sleep because at four and a half they were too old to win and not good enough to breed from so were considered useless. I hate that some people can treat any living thing as 'disposable'. Humans suck.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
That first person wants to be put down instead of Saxon, what a waste of space they are! I bet they do NOTHING for the third world either!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Disgusting, what's wrong with these people?! :evil:
The comment "he's just a dog thats been trained to bite" annoys me most, my dog is a trained PPD - meaning he is trained to attack an intruder or attacker, but that doesnt make him dangerous.
A dog as highly trained as a police dog is much less dangerous than your average dog as they have been disciplined to such a high degree. Besides which if he stays with his owner he'll be cared for by a trained police dog handler, how much safer can it be?!

Much better than all these thugs with untrained, aggressive EBTs and staffys running around the place.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
rach1980 said:
i also posted it on every other forum i go onto, and in all but one i got good replies and people actually wanting to help signing the petition/sending emails but on one forum i got two replies and these were them,

"While I think your cause is a noble one, there are many other wrongs in the world that should be a higher priority. There are kids dropping like flies all over the third world from a lack of food and basic infrastructure, while we in Europe destroy thousands upon thousands of tons of foodstuffs every year just to keep food prices artificially high.

Saxon, is just a dog that has been trained to bite people.
"

and

"No offence, but I really don't have the time to read all of that, so can you sum it up please?"

the first one is the one that got to me worse, do you think there was any need for this, its really got to me.

thats disgusting, how can they get away with it??? it makes me sick! :banghead:

·
Registered
760 Posts
i wanted to be a garda dog handler... but i dont think i wanna be anymore... that'd break my heart. stuck up w*****s

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yet another horrid respomnse from this person.....................................

If you don't like me saying it is 'just a dog' then I wonder what you do want me to call it? A pink bunny? It is a dog, so I will refer to is as such whether you like it or not.

The vast majority of these ex police dogs are left in the care of their handlers upon retirement. There is a reason this dog is being put forward for extermination. The reason? We aren't told that, we are just supposed to believe that this is a lovely furry little cutesy doggie and that the nasty misters are gonna put it down for no reason whatsoever.

I, for one, am not that gullible. As symon says, we have only heard one side of this tale.

This dog must be a danger to the public, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing this today. You say this is not your campaign? So why are you passing it on? You don't know anything about it yet you urge people to campaign against this beasts extermination?

Dogs are not intelligent, they learn simple tricks.

This dog has learned the trick of chasing down people who are running. It does not know the difference between a burglar or a child. It does not know right from wrong. It does not know that what would stop a burglar would kill a child...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
does this person even know that police dogs are not trained to just chase people, but are trained to stop criminals and sniff out hiding criminals not to just chase people around. They would only attack if their handler tells them too :evil:

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
No offence intended as I havent read the whole story but police dogs are quite vicious. I have seen them bite their handlers and other police. I wouldn't let one near my kids put it that way. As far as I know they wouldn't make very good pets, like the guy says they are trained to be aggresive and bite and hold on. Would you want that around your kids etc? But I dont think they should just put them down at the end of their service they should have some sort of sanctuary for them.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
most ex cop dogs are put down as they are too agressive to rehome, they actually HATE everyone apart from the trainer.
thats why its so difficult to rehome.
i work with these kinda dogs quite often in my job, and its quite clear to see they would not make pets.
i dont know what else there is to do? i mean other options, there must be something else, i dont agree with destroying them at all, just before anyone says i am agreeing with the bad stuff.
i'm just saying its a not easy keeping them alive as they would more than likely kill someone.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Most dogs are actually given over to their handlers, I dont know any handlers who havent been given their dog at the end of its service. Maybe it depends on the region Nige?
I think the point in this case was that the handler was led to believe the dog would be handed over to him at the end of service and they have now decided to do something else.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
andyj5447 said:
No offence intended as I havent read the whole story but police dogs are quite vicious. I have seen them bite their handlers and other police. I wouldn't let one near my kids put it that way. As far as I know they wouldn't make very good pets, like the guy says they are trained to be aggresive and bite and hold on. Would you want that around your kids etc? But I dont think they should just put them down at the end of their service they should have some sort of sanctuary for them.
lol ive never heard of a police dog bite their handlers, maybe this was because the dog was too over excited?
my dogs bitten me when ive tried to stop her going after another dog

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
they are in some cases pendle, but the problem is the dogs are only USED for service for about 4/6 years. if the trainer is to train another puppy up he wont be able to keep the older retired one.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Elaphe said:
andyj5447 said:
lol ive never heard of a police dog bite their handlers, maybe this was because the dog was too over excited?

quite possibly it was a bit funny as it was either the handler or me i suppose! :lol: It also bit another copper who tried to pull it off him!

I dont know anything about police dogs and how they are treated once they are retired but i am sure if they are usually re homed then this one must of done something to be put down.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
they are put down in almost all cases, thats definate.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
well there must be a good reason for it i am pretty sure that the police big wigs arent all evil dog hating ne'er do wells! Would you want a police dog around your kids put it that way.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
they are just too evil to totally honest.
basically they are trained killers, that can be stopped by only one man (not superman before someone starts lol).
after the trainer there is no one else that can control them in almost all cases.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
My sister's mate Steve had an "almost" police dog called Sheena, an large and wonderfully fluffy alsatian; she was trained but didn't pass the final cut, so she went to a special rehoming centre and he got her from there. One day he went into town, leaving Sheena in the car briefly, with the window open for her. Whie he was away she'd fallen asleep on the back seat and some muppet, not noticing her, had put his hand through the gap to try and open the door. He woke he up, and before he coud move she had hold of his hand through the window; not so hard as to hurt him, but with bared teeth and a warning growl. She barely bruised his skin let alone broke it, and she stood there queitly waiting for Steve to return. When he did, he saw the situation and decided to have some fun with the guy. Asking if there was any way he could help, the would be thief said
"Yeah, I dropped my keys inside and reached through the window when my dog turned on me!"
"Really?" replied Steve, followed by "Good girl Sheena, hold!" as he pulled out his phone and casually called the local police station.

So I think these dogs know what is expected of them, and are very responsive to commands.... in the right hands. You need to form a bond with such well trained dogs, else they will completely ignore you!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yep, all true babes, they can be well ignorant when they want lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts