Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got our Corn hatchling last Saturday night and as posted in a previous thread it didn't seem to want to feed.
Last night on the third time of offering we found out why.

Looked in first thing this morning and it had both shed and fed overnight.

How long does a shed normally take and how often. So we know next time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
the whole process with royal which is probly the same with corns take around 10-12 days.

1-2 days there will be dull skin with slightly pink belly then day 3-7 they go blue when the eyes go cloudy this is cause from a fluid buildup between the new and old layers of skin. day 7-10 the eyes will clear up and it can even sometimes be hard to tell if it is in shed and then day 10-12 which is were they shed and get rid of the old skin.

very interesting stuff!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
if you bath in warm water just after thier eyes have gone back to a normal colour,the skin will usually come off in one piece quite quickly.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I wouldn't bother with bathing a corn hatchling though! I've never had a problem with them.
With royal hatchlings I reckon a humid hide is a better idea - less stress for them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
yeah, wouldn't recommend bathing just before shed it could stress them and then have a crap shed because of stress, if the humidity is around 70-75% or alittle more and if they are healthy they shouldn't have any trouble

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
thats great my hatching corns shed every 3 weeks or so but i had one shed then feed then shed again last weekend

1 - 9 of 9 Posts