Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry bit of a newbie question but I wanted to settle a dispute.

Having seen friends boas and pics of those on here. I was under the impression that they can keep growing in length up until about 5 and girth till 8+.

A friend claims that once they reach about 3-4 years of age that's their maximum size. Surely not. I mean a a boa might live 20 years!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I don;lt think a boa ever stops growing - the growth rate just declines

·
Registered
914 Posts
I don;lt think a boa ever stops growing - the growth rate just declines
totally agree, a fully grown snake is a dead one. There's an age where the snakes growth will slow down but it will continue to grow just a lot slower and so not very noticeable.
Also the growth rate will change depending on how much it has and is being fed

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha knew I was right. all the big boas I see on here are older so it makes sense.

Thing is my boa is 2 yr old and about 5 ft. nice and thick too. He's a good healthy size.

My mate was saying 'ooh, he's nearly fully grown. you're going to end up with a small boa there'.

dont you hate it when people p1ss on your party like that. lol.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
They never stop they just slow down!:2thumb:

·
Registered
736 Posts
age and growth

there are various hybrides around so that can affect sizes but boa constrictors i have seen topped out around 14ft average about 10ft growth just slows down with age ive had them breed at 6ft age is difficult as it depends on how fed and individual grow rates hope this helps:2thumb:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with what everyones saying. Your boa wont really stop growing but i guess maybe 5-6 years on would be into the time when the growing slows down alot. Could be incorrect so don't quote me, just going by what I seem to see. My brb is just coming up on a year old and is not too far shy of 3 and a half feet. Little monster he is!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts