Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this all i need to house a young ATB?

habistat thermostat (pulse proportionate :crazy: )

24'' pennine vivarium

heat mat

water sprayer

thermometer

humidity gage

tubing or branches to create an x to cradle the snake at rest

some kind of live plant (suggestions welcome of course)

some substrate (no idea what to use here. will newspaper do it?)

snake hook??

also is it recommended to put some sort of bulb or tube lighting in or is it not worth it? The thermostat can only regulate the heat mat a bulb or a tube may cause over heating…

thanks for your time,
cass

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
why a snake hook? no need. Just get a sand blasted branch. substrate, get anything, wood chips, they spend most the time ine trees, fake plants.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
and your going to need a bigger cage, IN TIME. you no that right?

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are really agressive (deffensive i mean) and thought it would be a good way to handle it. perhaps when its bigger anyway.

i was thinking live plants to help with humidity.. and they look way better. i also wanted to use a good easy substrate like good old newspaper but i dont know if it would do the job...

this is my first tropical snake :crazy:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
That list is fine.

If you want to put a light in then do, it wont effect the working of the thermostat, if it gets too hot it will turn off.

I would say you're better off with fake plants as live can get trashed and are high maintenance (ie you NEED a uv tube) - but that's entirely optional.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That list is fine.

If you want to put a light in then do, it wont effect the working of the thermostat, if it gets too hot it will turn off.

I would say you're better off with fake plants as live can get trashed and are high maintenance (ie you NEED a uv tube) - but that's entirely optional.
i was thinking a uv tube would be good not only for the plants but to illuminate the snake and the whole enclosure :razz:.

do you think newspaper would do? can you think of any robust plant species?

cheers

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
iv read some were you should leave newspaper fr 2 weeks or days. dunno sounds stupid, but think i read it someware

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so peat..? ive always used newspaper but ive never kept a tropical snake, so... i kept my cham on peat but it was a messy job to clean out the bugger. any ideas on an easy mantanence substrate that will keep up humidity...?

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you class as easy maintenance?

I'd go for coconut husk, orchid bark or something similar
i suppose somthing which doesnt harbor or allow parasites, mold and bacteria to grow to easily and doesnt stick to every thing...

what about virmiculite?

soz for the spelling

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
i suppose somthing which doesnt harbor or allow parasites, mold and bacteria to grow to easily and doesnt stick to every thing...

what about virmiculite?

soz for the spelling
Even newspaper doesnt do what you are looking for:lol2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts