Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a couple of ATB's that I keep in wooden vivs and a GTP in an exo terra with an adapted lid.

I am thinking of adding a new ATB to my collection and want to use an Exo rather than a wooden viv.

I know people use them for ATB's but am looking for some advice on what size for an adult are people using.

Some pics would also be helpful,

·
Registered
33,399 Posts
Hi

I have a couple of ATB's that I keep in wooden vivs and a GTP in an exo terra with an adapted lid.

I am thinking of adding a new ATB to my collection and want to use an Exo rather than a wooden viv.

I know people use them for ATB's but am looking for some advice on what size for an adult are people using.

Some pics would also be helpful,
Basin79 is your best bet there- he used to have one. Not sure what kind of housing his was in though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
From the research I've done, at least a 3x3x2' terrarium will suffice but I can't advise you on adaptations for maintaining humidity etc so I'd be interested. I believe these guys should get as much floor and vertical space as poss. If you're going for a neonate, you may want to go for an adult size enclosure once it's grown on some - fill the space with hides and take out as the snake grows. Plus, as a good example for a display animal, using a bigger enclosure means you can go to town with the display : victory:

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
I kept a breeding pair in a 3 foot exo terra, with a lighting canopy and a ceramic heater. You will need to use perspex sheets over the exposed mesh other wise the air will be too dry.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Basin79 is your best bet there- he used to have one. Not sure what kind of housing his was in though.
No. I had a basin ETB Wilks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
When you cover the top of the terrarium with perspex do you not effect the airflow? I always thought humidity should be controlled without compromising on airflow. Just a thought and generally interested.

Also intriguing how Atbs and etbs have different preference for perches.. is this purely down to their coiling habits?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have used exos when I used to keep gtp's. I covered about 50% of the mesh and never really had humidity problems although I did have a timed misting system in place. If your only keeping 1 or 2 I shouldn't think it would be a problem with regular misting but, of course, I suppose it depends on your availability / time constraints as to how often you would be able to mist it

·
Registered
4 Posts
The biggest, I will be upgrading all of mine soon. As mine use ever inch at night when in active hunt mode, however daily you will never find them.

As for modding the top you can build a wood top (I know many have in the past very successfully). Alternatively pre-cut acrylic and drill holes in for air flow as required for the mesh sections that are not in use for heating/lighting etc.

Mine are also kept in a background heated room as winter does badly affect my ambient temps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.