Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i have been admiring these from afar for a while and done all the reading up on care etc, and HOPEFULLY should be getting one in the next few weeks....who else on here keeps them and what info can people give me (first hand from keepers) and also if i do get the one i am after i will be on the look out for a male in the next few months, so if anyone has any or knows of any feel free to let me know : victory:....also any pics etc of the snakes themselves and set ups appreciated...ATB`s are TOTALY new to me so i am at the mercy of all you ATB keepers out there :notworthy: :lol2:

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent pic! he/she is luuuurvly! i am aware they are not snakes to be handled etc...and its not that common to find "tame" ones but that doesn`t bother me as i plan on eventualy doing a really nice display viv for mine :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i have dealt with lots of bitey snakes in the past and am not bothered about getting bitten (to a point lol) but yeah if i need to i still got the reflexes so sure i`ll be ok on that side of things :lol2: plus we all love bite pics so i`m sure there may be a few of them coming up soon from my end :roll2:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
well, they can be very rewarding, it took me 6months before i got the steelies to handle mine with no gloves and im proud to say no bites!!

i must say they are classed as arborial but will spend all day on the floor or the rare occation on a perch and spend most of the night roaming their perches, heres a few pics of mine...

hope you like,
Jon..

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very nice! yeah i have heard they will spend a lot of their time on the ground...but have also been told sometimes a shelf or very thick branches will stop this as they naturaly prefer very thick V shaped branches that they can sort of lay in rather than thinner perches...as i say i have never kept them so i am just gathering bits i can from everyone i know who keeps them...thanks guys :2thumb: and keep the info and pics coming :notworthy:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Im fairly new to keeping them also... Iv got 4, 2.2...
Im really taken with them..... I found my first 1 was very bitey... the next quite timid... and the last 2 are both still babies so still quite snappy, but they arent really that fast strikers... almost kinda lazy LOL..... Iv been tagged only once and it wasnt too bad;-))))
Heres my boys <3

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
mine always acts like its going to bite but is surprisingly calm she does snap occasionally but its rare, she doesnt mind being handled although I very rarely handle her.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I've got a 2 year old female, and she's actually quiet tame for a Atb, not that I handle her much tho.
She never goes in her hides on the ground, I've provided a few hides at ground level, but she's also got bird houses, lots of branches and plants in her viv, so I guess she feels secure up high.
Humidity can be a problem with Atb's they need it quite high.
They're bite stings a bit more than your average snake, you'll be surprised at just how sharp their teeth are. I find with mine she's not a strike and bite snake, she's more of a sniff your hand and sink her teeth in one by one snake ;)

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
bit of gumph about them and some pics on my site
regards gaz

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I got one from the welsh bloke who posted above me:Na_Na_Na_Na: and he is lovely. He's a beautiful orangey yellowy browny colour and is really really calm, I dont handle him but on the odd occasion I do, its very hard to get him back into his tub as he is soooo friendly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
there amazing snakes i have 2 at the minute 1 hardly ever bite but the female will bite anything and everything but shes still cute though

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have 5 of them - 2 adults and 3 07 youngsters. The 3 youngsters are totally handleable and will hopefully stay that way. The 2 adults are more typical ATB temperament. All strike feed on pre warmed food items and one of the youngsters feeds right through being in blue too.

All of mine like to bathe a lot - even though humidity levels are high in the tanks - 70% to 80% with twice daily sprayings to raise it to peaks of 100%. I have always found ATBs like to sit in water bowls.

Excellent snakes - and not difficult to keep with a little prior research.

Good luck with yours.

Mark

·
Registered
259 Posts
Im fairly new to keeping them also... Iv got 4, 2.2...
Im really taken with them..... I found my first 1 was very bitey... the next quite timid... and the last 2 are both still babies so still quite snappy, but they arent really that fast strikers... almost kinda lazy LOL..... Iv been tagged only once and it wasnt too bad;-))))
Heres my boys <3

WOW, I love the look of the red one, the yellow is beautiful too!

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
they are excellent!!!...you don't need any other snakes with them...plus they come in assorted flavors!!...here they are cheap but i think they are reasonable over there...anyway, they are worth it and you can put together beautiful showcases for them...have a jungle in your living room!! i can't say enough about them.....classy animals if you ask me!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts