Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I've recently aquired a male aussie water dragon. Problem is that he doesn't seem to be eating? I've offered him morio worms and crickets along with the same vegetation that my beardies are eating, but all he seems interested in doing is sitting in his water bowl.

His viv is just over 2ft X 2ft X 4ft tall. I know floor space isn't perfect, but that's what he came with and this side of christmas my hands are tied. So vet fees are out also. If anyone can help me with a diet or way to stimulate feeding that'll be great.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It's probably not a good start that you have no money if an emergency arises. Advice wise they are flighty animals naturally so if the move has been recent give him a few days/week at least before bothering him. Get a bigger viv ASAP the stress will not be helping. Try covering his viv up with a blanket/sheet to minimize stress. What is his setup? (temps, lights, etc..)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Hello

I've recently aquired a male aussie water dragon. Problem is that he doesn't seem to be eating? I've offered him morio worms and crickets along with the same vegetation that my beardies are eating, but all he seems interested in doing is sitting in his water bowl.

His viv is just over 2ft X 2ft X 4ft tall. I know floor space isn't perfect, but that's what he came with and this side of christmas my hands are tied. So vet fees are out also. If anyone can help me with a diet or way to stimulate feeding that'll be great.
Change of food or buy some repti boost : victory:

·
Registered
945 Posts
try Dubia Roaches, I have an adult pair and they pull their noses up at anything else nowadays!

Also, how old is he? you will be hard pressed to find AWD owners on here who can actually get their adults to eat veg!! :lol2:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Temps are about 90 at the moment. I've put him in a 3 ft Vivarium which looks a decent size for him. He doesn't look out of place in there. I've had to do away with the heat lamp I was using as it woul of been so low he would of burnt himself on it. So for now I have to use two heat mats. Ones stuck to the back of the inside of the viv and the other is underneath the viv warming up the floor space. Not ideal I know, but sadly all I can do for now. I've now seen him eat a few morio worms. So things are looking up. He also has a uv 10 strip bulb.

On the subject of needing money when emergencys arise, I do understand were you're coming from. But the facts are a little complicated. Basically I had to swap off some expensive spiderlings (p metallica) just to get him off my friend. He was up for sale for £70. The reason I jumped in and got him was because my friend got a small pair of Burmese pythons. Looked in his reptile house for somewhere to put them, saw the Aussie water dragon and grabbed him from his viv and placed him in with a pair of Chinese water dragons. the Chinese dragons weren't to keen on their new Aussie friend. My mate didn't really care as he needed the space and he's not short on a few quid anyway.

Well anyway 2x p Metallica, 1 AF P regalis, 1 AF P cambridgei and a few adult stick insects later, my friend dropped over 1 Aussie water dragon with one tall viv that he had no use for, and ONE small heat mat. That was all the heat he would of had. So once my friend left I was on the phone calling around my other reptile keeping friends seeing if anyone had any spare uv lights and heat sources. To my luck a friend that used to have a monitor still had the equipment. So for the price of 1 p metallica and 1 p irmania I had the equipment.

So please before you jump on my back for not being rich enough to afford things most people take for granted, please know the facts first. I might not have a lot of money. Barely enough to survive some months. But this lizard was taken off someone else's hands who didn't care about it. And if I left it living in those circumstances it would be dead no doubt. I've done the best that I can with the resources I have. I've swapped a lot of expensive spiders just to give this guy a good home.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If the AWD is in good basic health, and not obviously underweight, it should be ok to go without food for a month or more depending on size. It would be perfectly normal for a AWD in a new viv to not have a good appetite. It sounds as if it is now in its third viv in just a few weeks..... It is possibly quite stressed.

If 90f is the background temp, then it will be stressed. That is far too hot. It should be around 25c. Sitting in the water alot is a classic sign that the lizard is too hot. It is VERY important you turn ALL the heating off for around 12 hours per day. These are not tropical lizards.

Please have a look at the caresheet on my website. I have alot of experience with this species, and currently have over 150 of them !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the AWD is in good basic health, and not obviously underweight, it should be ok to go without food for a month or more depending on size. It would be perfectly normal for a AWD in a new viv to not have a good appetite. It sounds as if it is now in its third viv in just a few weeks..... It is possibly quite stressed.

If 90f is the background temp, then it will be stressed. That is far too hot. It should be around 25c. Sitting in the water alot is a classic sign that the lizard is too hot. It is VERY important you turn ALL the heating off for around 12 hours per day. These are not tropical lizards.

Please have a look at the caresheet on my website. I have alot of experience with this species, and currently have over 150 of them !
All heating? But my flat gets like a freezer at night! That ok? It's a strange one because you think of Australia to be a very warm place!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
All heating? But my flat gets like a freezer at night! That ok? It's a strange one because you think of Australia to be a very warm place!
Not during the night. Believe it or not but even Australia has no sunshine during the night! No sunshine means no heat, plus no cloud cover means minus temps, easy during winter months.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Australia is huge. Therefore huge differences in temperatures across the country.

Tom Cannon is correct. In parts of the natural range AWD will get frosty weather. But they will be underground protected from the extremes of temperatures.

Can you please turn the heating off tonight, and tell me what your min/max thermometer says in the morning. I will then tell you what mine says in my vivs. You might get a shock !

Also I forgot to say ... if you are handling it... STOP !!!! Let it settle in first for few weeks at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts