1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
any chance of seeing the original enclosure?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any chance of seeing the original enclosure?

Here it is it is normally in a web on the top right hand corner. I've had it in this setup for about a 7months at least

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plus, if its just moulted why's there a locusts in with it?

It moulted 5days ago and the locust was put in dead in case it was hungry. Normally a good eater this one.

The spider was found at the bottom of the enclosure freshly moulted, near the waterbowl in the soft moss. I left it a few days before checking on it to discover it cant move properly. Then I put it in an ICU with a new dead locust.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
In what way was this answer helpful :bash:
it wasn't, but everyone knows that you shouldn't feed a T till a week or 2 after moult, was just asking incase it had moulted longer ago than assumed, thank you very much stroppy pants for your useful answer that fully helped this young lady too:lol2:

anyway, your set up looks fine from what i can see, i had a T once that walked funny like that, it was severly dehydrated, i assume yours always has water in there and a light mist like once a week or so??
maybe you'll just have to wait and hope for the next moult to bring it out of this state? best of luck mate

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mist once every 3 days and fill up the waterbowl at the same time, this versi loves humidity, so always forms a web above the waterbowl.

The waterbowl is never empty (its the green lid at the bottom middle of the tank)

It usually eats a few days after moult too, runs after its locusts or crickets.

I dont leave crickets in the tank only locust. I knew it was due a moult because it didnt eat the one in the tank.

Reactions: sn8ks4life

·
Banned
357 Posts
If it was me I would of left it where it was. Sometimes spiders have bad moults. They can lose limbs, become very weak or just die. If I see a spider that's just moulted I tend to spray the set up and offer water. Sometimes moving them can do more harm then good because the stress alone can cause the animal to act differently.

As someone already said the locust shouldn't be in there when a spiders moulting. But sometimes these things happen. Spiders often moult when we don't expect it, so some people continue feeding. Just get used to taking live food out after a couple of hours if uneaten.

Hope it pulls through.

·
Banned
357 Posts
And one last thing. Looking at the pics of the set up you have I would advise that you tape up some of the mesh up the top. Vericolor like it humid but with good ventilation. So you need to find a healthy medium because what you have there will struggle to hold in humidity. That could be the cause of why it's moulted badly. That's the trouble with those tanks. They look lovely, but for humidity login animals it really struggles with the all mesh top. So if it pulls through tape up the mesh ASAP.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
And one last thing. Looking at the pics of the set up you have I would advise that you tape up some of the mesh up the top. Vericolor like it humid but with good ventilation. So you need to find a healthy medium because what you have there will struggle to hold in humidity. That could be the cause of why it's moulted badly. That's the trouble with those tanks. They look lovely, but for humidity login animals it really struggles with the all mesh top. So if it pulls through tape up the mesh ASAP.
Do not *tape it up*
Use some sort of plastic and glue in to the inside might be wise doing it while the tarantula is in your home-made *icu* so you can leave it a night to allow the glue to set and fumes to go,I have also witnessed avicularia get there claws stuck in this mesh and not be able to get unstuck.

Finally place it somewhere out of the way and leave it alone, Its not going to help it if you keep making it move.

Ps
I also find that if you cover it in plastic to use sand paper on the plastic to help roughen it up.
Hope this helps,
Brandan

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leaving it in the icu seems to be working, it has stretched its legs out now and seems to be walking ok. I'm just going to leave it alone for a few days.

I'll cover the top mesh with plastic then put something on top to keep it down:2thumb:

He has eaten the locust in the icu, so i'm not as worried as I was earlier.

Thanks for the help i'll update you as I go on.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Leaving it in the icu seems to be working, it has stretched its legs out now and seems to be walking ok. I'm just going to leave it alone for a few days.

I'll cover the top mesh with plastic then put something on top to keep it down:2thumb:

He has eaten the locust in the icu, so i'm not as worried as I was earlier.

Thanks for the help i'll update you as I go on.
thats good to hear

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Well from the look and sound of it, dehydration after a moult is a real candidate. I do however question the idea of taking it away from it's web it "de-stress it". ICUs do not de-stress spiders, so much as distress them (BAM! Pun, right in the face).

While it sounds like it just needed water, placing it in its web then soaking the substrate and lightly misting the web seem like a much more sensible idea. Avics can take a long time to settle as it is, and I do believe they don't like leaving their webs for great lengths of time.

it wasn't, but everyone knows that you shouldn't feed a T till a week or 2 after moult, was just asking incase it had moulted longer ago than assumed, thank you very much stroppy pants for your useful answer that fully helped this young lady too:lol2:

anyway, your set up looks fine from what i can see, i had a T once that walked funny like that, it was severly dehydrated, i assume yours always has water in there and a light mist like once a week or so??
maybe you'll just have to wait and hope for the next moult to bring it out of this state? best of luck mate
The length of time between a moult and feeding again really depends on the spider's species, size and environmental conditions. I usually just wait till the fangs are black again. Small spiders can be ready and willing to feed within two days of a moult for instance.

Reactions: Graylord

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well from the look and sound of it, dehydration after a moult is a real candidate. I do however question the idea of taking it away from it's web it "de-stress it". ICUs do not de-stress spiders, so much as distress them (BAM! Pun, right in the face).

While it sounds like it just needed water, placing it in its web then soaking the substrate and lightly misting the web seem like a much more sensible idea. Avics can take a long time to settle as it is, and I do believe they don't like leaving their webs for great lengths of time.

The length of time between a moult and feeding again really depends on the spider's species, size and environmental conditions. I usually just wait till the fangs are black again. Small spiders can be ready and willing to feed within two days of a moult for instance.

Just to clarify i did not 'take it from its web' it was on the moss next to the waterbowl which was full for 2 days. It could not get back into its web as the web was too small its moulted on the floor and no longer fits into the web in the corner. It cant seem to climb either i've watched it try and it ends up on its back.

I've just checked on it now and seems better stretched out. I am leaving it alone for peace and quiet the tub is clear so can check on it without disturbing it.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Just to clarify i did not 'take it from its web' it was on the moss next to the waterbowl which was full for 2 days. It could not get back into its web as the web was too small its moulted on the floor and no longer fits into the web in the corner. It cant seem to climb either i've watched it try and it ends up on its back.

I've just checked on it now and seems better stretched out. I am leaving it alone for peace and quiet the tub is clear so can check on it without disturbing it.
I know you didn't take it from the web, I meant took it away from where its web was.

Not knocking it exactly, aside from anything, it sounds like it's working (good to hear indeed), I just feel that a lot of folk on here are a bit too eager with the ICU, when the spiders are often better off left in their familiar surroundings.

In inability to climb I'm wondering about, suppose it might not be able to extend it's legs enough to get the scopulae in contact with the glass.

I hope it makes a full recovery :)

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
i keep my avics floor bone dry i just put drops of water on the web, the moss or lid every day here is what the smaller ones live in

1 - 17 of 17 Posts