Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Has anyone used Avipro Plus? The vet told me to get some for Obi which i did on Saturday but it doesnt say how often to give it to him? Im mixing it the one scoop per 100ml water as the vet advised but Im worried about over dosing him? Cant contact the vets until tomorrow but dunno if i can give him some tonight?

anyone????

Thanks
Bex
x

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
that like critical care formula? sounds like the stuff you give to sick birds but i can't say i know enough about it..sorry.. :(

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Sorry Bex, right Avipro plus, well first of all i would ask why you are giving it? because if its to peep up appitite or because rep been ill then you can just add it to drinking water at a rate of 4g scoop (should come with powder) to every 100g of water, but if its to rehydrate rep then it would be better to seringe it straight into stomach...hope this helps..

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you Nicky im sorry for getting :evil: just really worried about my little guy

Its to rehydrate him until the vets can work out whats wrong with him so i know how to do it but I dont know if he can have it every day>?

Sorry again for being grumpy
xxx

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
right to rehydrate him did vet give you a seringe with a tube on it?? what you want to do is make up mixture as mentioned, i would give little and ofen as its to rehydrate, remind me wat size is obi??then i can say roughly how much,

also you want to make sure tube goes into mouth and aim to go down either side of throat this way you will get stomach and not lungs and do it slowly just incase...

·
Registered
632 Posts
ask for duphalite instead, its better!! and when syringing stuff in you will need to push the majority of the syringe in (sounds and looks mean) but if you don't there is a chance u will drown him!! reptiles larynxs are really far forward!!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
it is critical care then..folow nicky's advice for amounts to give..

bear in mind that when giving fluids by mouth, you need to watch out for the glottis that sits on the tongue at the back of the mouth in most reptiles. this leads to the trachea. if you open his mouth you will see a tube .you want the eosophagus as the trachea leads to the lungs and any fluid forced down here could drown obi.

use a French catheter or feeding/dosing tube attached to a syringe, you need to insert it into the mouth, sliding it down one side of the mouth or the other to avoid accidentally threading it into the glottis. While the ideal is to insert the tube all the way down into the stomach, this is not always possible so the catheter or feeding/dosing tube should be inserted as far as need be to prevent the fluid from backing up and flooding into the glottis.
when plunging the syringe do it slowly as to much at one time can cause re-flux which will bring the formula back up as above.

This method can be tricky and if obi is able to swallow i would try and put a bit in his mouth and let him do the work for you the repeat until he has had enough...if he can't you will have to syringe.

give formula in dose nicky suggested every 2/3 hours no more than 4/5 times in a day as too much fluid will overload the kidneys..

sorry wasn't helpful earlier, never heard of avipro plus...never good when one of your own is ill...good luck.. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts

what your looking for is this tube (to avoid it that is!!) !! (obviously this is a much larger scale as this is a Bosc) but it gives u the rough placement of the Larynx/glottis!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts