Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever tried putting iodine into their axolotles water to see if they morph? I know that you would have to be pretty precise with the amount you put in to avoid killing them and that it is a bit risky, but it would be an interesting experiment if someone was to try it.

I may give it ago, but Id have to do some research into it first.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
as far as i underatand you you basically have to inject them with the exact amount for it to work. I personally wouldnt risk it with any of my pets but if you do it post pics.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
To get the axalotl or any other neotenic salamander to morph you must add iodine to the water. If you want to inject the axolotle to acheive the same result you would inject it with thyroxine. An increased intake of iodine in an axalotl will induce the thyroid to produce higher levels of thyroxine which will trigger metamorphosis. At least this is how I remember it.

It must have been done somewhere. I will look to find out...I dont see the point in doing it myself if I can find photos taken by someone who already has. I should imagine if you dont get it right they may only partially morph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts