1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
16,787 Posts
I wouldn't. They smell for several days when people use them on flowerbeds outdoors so should imagine it would be pretty awful in a small enclosed setup. Often you can see mushrooms growing on them when wet. Plus they could well be "treated" with something that is certainly not reptile safe.

Also won't your lizard(s) eat them, albeit not intentionally?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too true.. Wont bother with it now then mate. My leachie takes crested gecko diet and no insects so there no real chance there mate.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Hi,

Apparently the bark chips offered through the reptile brands are washed and super heat treated before packing. Thats why it doesnt smell as bad and should have a much lower risk of contamination. I guess this is not needed in gardens???

I do know people that have bought it from DIY stores and washed it in a new rainbutt and then microwaved it by the bowl full.....seems a lot of work to me :gasp:

John

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Apparently the bark chips offered through the reptile brands are washed and super heat treated before packing. Thats why it doesnt smell as bad and should have a much lower risk of contamination. I guess this is not needed in gardens???

I do know people that have bought it from DIY stores and washed it in a new rainbutt and then microwaved it by the bowl full.....seems a lot of work to me :gasp:

John
Is too much for sure john. I think the best is sticking to the repti brands of substrste really. Leastur sure about the contents and all. Cheers buddy!
Ryan

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
I use it, but as mentioned, the smell for the first few days is iffy, so it is a wise choice to dry it out before introducing it, I don't know the inns and outs but as soon as its dried out and wet again, it doesn't seem to smell, well not that I have ever noticed.

I use it in varied snake and lizard setups, never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you use the same bark from B&Q or just the same type?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts