Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my platy gave birth 2days ago and i put the new fry with my other fry, only a few weeks old too, but so far 2 of my older fry have died, i look and there fine a hour later ones died, water change was done yesterday tested water all is ok, does anyone know if anything could be casuing it or if its just one of them things, they are in a net trap, could it be they need more room or anything

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
a seperate tank is always best for rearing fry, although the net traps seem to be a lot better than the plastic ones

a big water change could also be too much of a shock for very young fish, little and often is the best way to go :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hew many older fry are there in the net it is best to release them in to the main tank to give them more space at 4 weeks old they should be big enough to not to get eating by the adult fish, although the water in the net trap may look ok
it can still build up Pollutants from the fish and from un eating foods

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there are about 14 older fry, ive released them into the tank now, only had them in the net as was waiting for other platy to give birth which i thought was about 2weeks away but she gave birth yesterday lol so there all together now in the smaller tank, no more have died :2thumb: touch wood :)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The nets dont allow a sufficient water movement and seems to always kill my fry, lots of leafy plants is the way to go , somewhere they can hide.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cant wait till there lil bigger :) and cheers for the tip ill put more plants in :2thumb: all seem ok now, thankfully

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm guessing the net is floating in your main tank? I had in excess of 100+ Danio Fry in a net and the next morning i had 10 max left, Was told that with the net they can be sucked through the minut holes and eaten. Probably better off with a seperate tank completely for the best chances

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
I'm guessing the net is floating in your main tank? I had in excess of 100+ Danio Fry in a net and the next morning i had 10 max left, Was told that with the net they can be sucked through the minut holes and eaten. Probably better off with a seperate tank completely for the best chances
livebearer fry tend to be a lot bigger than those of egglayers : victory:

glad to hear they're doing okay now :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ah i didn't take that into count!
Well said, i managed to save a few which i put back into the net once they got to a decent size and i released them into the tank yesterday and are doing absolutely fine : victory:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts