Reptile Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
As said in this. Smelly bedding. I had listened to everyone on here with ideas in heating, defrosting etc and tried everything when I had fussy royals. Some had to have the rat very hot! Others had to have it rubbed in smelly bedding which I found out myself when giving it a go when I had pet rats. Now with having hamsters, rabbits and quails if we ever get another fussy one we’ve got smelly bedding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
just try not to tear every strand of hair out in the process!

Love it and thanks. If it was just the odd one I would agree but it's all of the miserable worms so it is something I am missing. I will leave it till middle of next week and then try scenting with bedding and maybe even put some old bedding at the side of the rack to get them excited before I offer. I have nothing but admiration to those who get them up and running quickly on defrost.
I wouldn’t worry too much; they sound like they’ve got a healthy appetite, just don’t seem to have figured out that FT is also edible yet! Let us know how you get on with the scenting.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oh they have good appetites so doesnt appear to be a housing/environment issue but that just makes it more frustrating.

They fed last Friday so I will give them a week to build up their appetites and then try again. Will post how I get on. Thank you to all those who have taken time to give input.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well as promised an update and importantly some success. I tried scenting defrosted rodents and two out of the three took. Initially i warmed them up but still no success, then tried scenting on old bedding and still nothing. Some of the live multi's had come to see the rodent I was rubbing in their litter so I just ran it over their backs. Bang that did it, even though by now the mouse was cold it did the trick. The third one that refused was tongue flicking and tracking it but wouldn't be fooled so will leave it to get a little hungrier and then try again. So heat didnt seem to matter and it was actual body scent that triggered them. Thank you to all those that took the time to make suggestions. Hopefully it has pointed the way forward.

·
Registered
12,436 Posts
Well as promised an update and importantly some success. I tried scenting defrosted rodents and two out of the three took. Initially i warmed them up but still no success, then tried scenting on old bedding and still nothing. Some of the live multi's had come to see the rodent I was rubbing in their litter so I just ran it over their backs. Bang that did it, even though by now the mouse was cold it did the trick. The third one that refused was tongue flicking and tracking it but wouldn't be fooled so will leave it to get a little hungrier and then try again. So heat didnt seem to matter and it was actual body scent that triggered them. Thank you to all those that took the time to make suggestions. Hopefully it has pointed the way forward.

Excellent news !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 - 26 of 26 Posts