Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question regarding size of dubias that are safe to feed. When I was feeding my 3.5 month old beardie some dubia roaches some larger ones fell out that personally I wasn't too happy with. I found some more in the colony that were similar size and they are 2cm in length whereas the space between his eyes is 1.5cm.

He did a little wiggle after he ate the last one which gave me the impression he had some difficulty getting it down so I gave him 0.25ml of baby food with some water straight after to help lubricate it if that were the case. It was like 45 seconds after he ate the last one until I got him to lap up some baby food which he seemed to really enjoy and by that time he didn't seem to be concerned with the dubia so I assume it already made its own way down. He's now basking and occasionally shutting his eyes for a moment.

Should I be worried?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Nope, they can handle much bigger prey than people give them credit for. If he went for it, ate it and keeps it down then it's not too big. Either way it'll come out one end or the other.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, they can handle much bigger prey than people give them credit for. If he went for it, ate it and keeps it down then it's not too big. Either way it'll come out one end or the other.
I forget sometimes that they are probably capable of making their own decisions about what is the right size prey to eat. Have to remind myself they do actually survive on their own without supervision in the wild!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Exactly, they are after all a highly successful and skilled predator.......mostly. They can chew and break down what they need. If it had been too big for him he'd have spat it back out and left you with a lovely mess to clean up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As a general rule of thumb you can feed your beardy anything the same size as - or smaller than - its head.

But as the guys above previously stated, they are designed for gulping down bugs and have the equipment necessary for digesting large meals (comparatively) like the roaches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.