Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have two bds and have quite a good knowledge of them but someone asked me today for some advise which I wasn't sure how to answer. They had bought a baby bd which at first was lively and eating well then allof a sudden it began moping around the viv, not wanting to eat and kept drooping it's head forward as if it couldn't keep it up. She seems to have all the right stuff in the viv, feeding recommended veg, crickets (dusted)etc. The only thing we wondered as it is a very small bd if it was removed from its mum too soon? I'm really stumpt as to what to advise her. Can anyone help please? :cry:

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
my smallest was abit like that after a few days of coming home. She refused to eat and always looked stressed out. I put her in with the other dragons and she perked up and started running round and eating :) Shes back on her own now due to a attack of the crickets and a ampitated leg but now shes a little larger she doesnt seam to mind this time.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
pinkellie said:
Hi
The only thing we wondered as it is a very small bd if it was removed from its mum too soon? I'm really stumpt as to what to advise her. Can anyone help please? :cry:
Just re-reading the post Ivejust realised you said mum and not other babies. Baby bearded dragons are never kept with the mum. In captivy eggs are took away to be incubated then the babies are put in a viv without the mother and I think in the wild the mother leaves the eggs once they have been laid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention in my original post that it is actually already with another bd so it shouldn't really be lonely. That's why I'm not really sure what to advise her next! Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Hiya Hun,

When you say she trys to raise her head then it drops back down. Can she hold herself up? When you place your finger under her chin and lift her up does she support herself? and stays upright or does she collapse again??

Is she very sleepy? not eating? a bit skinny?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
Yeah she's very sleepy, doesn't want to eat, the crickets can dance right in front of her and she looks at them for a bit and then it's as if she hasn't got the energy to get it.
She can hold her head up for a few minutes and then drops it really low like it's a real effort for her to hold her head up.
Any ideas??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts