Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 bearded dragons and i have had them a week and one was flat on the floor this morning has anyone any ideas why this could have happened

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
first of all im sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I Cant really give you any help to how she died. Ive often wondered if animals can be victims of what is known in humans cot death. Ive had 2 perfectly healthy baby animals die in their sleep. 1 a kitten and the other a rat.

You could take her to the vet for a postmotem. Was she ok last night before lights out? and does the other still look healthy?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she was fine last night and the other one looks fine and is moving around as normal

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I think the only way your going to be sure how she died then will be by letting the vet see her. Only other thing i can suggest is to give the viv a good disenfecting then if she did have omething wrong with her it hopefully cant be passed on to the other.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Agreed the only way to truly now how it died would be a post-mortem at the vets. Sometimes babies will develop internal problems that just catch up after a while.... Theres possibly nothing you could have done.

I've just had a few babies and one died overnight after about 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
im sorry u lost your beardie.i would do as suggested and take her to the vet and get a post mortom done just in case it was something that could be passed on to your other beardie.:sad: :cry: again im sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm verry sorry for your loss. :(

No one can know for sure without a post-mortem but if you list your husbandry for all your BDs we can try and see if there was a clear problem, and steer you in the right direction for your other dragons.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing that i can think was that i bought a large piece of bark from the pet shop and the lizard that died would only eat the brown cickets and not the locusts and the brown crickets would hide in the bark but yesterday when i figured this out i took the bark out of the vivarium I have a basking bulb, A uv light and a heat mat. I have been feeding them on brown crickets and locusts as well as a selection of fruit and veg (star fruit, pears, cucumber and cress) all finely choped) I have a bowl of water in and i have been spraying them and one of them laps it up and the other never but it did go into the water dish and soak itself and then come out. The cooler area of my tank is about 80 and the basking spot area is about 95

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The only thing that i can think was that i bought a large piece of bark from the pet shop and the lizard that died would only eat the brown cickets and not the locusts and the brown crickets would hide in the bark but yesterday when i figured this out i took the bark out of the vivarium I have a basking bulb, A uv light and a heat mat. I have been feeding them on brown crickets and locusts as well as a selection of fruit and veg (star fruit, pears, cucumber and cress) all finely choped) I have a bowl of water in and i have been spraying them and one of them laps it up and the other never but it did go into the water dish and soak itself and then come out. The cooler area of my tank is about 80 and the basking spot area is about 95
I would increase the basking temp to between 110-120 as babies need the extra heat to aid digestion.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Firstly, I'm really sorry you lost your baby. It can be very upsetting, but as Gaz said, Sometimes these things just happen, I'm also a dragon breeder and i've lost a couple of babies out of 4 clutches. I think they were the Runts of the litter.

But as stated a post-mortem is the only way to tell, I would up your temps to 110 for basking. As babies need it more.

As for fruit, i dont give my beardies any as it causes them to have runny poos, Also cucumber, iceburg lettuce & spinach are well best avoided.

Give the vet a call and have a chat to them cos they might be able to sort something out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
:sad: I am so sorry for your loss. that must have been hard to wake up too.
I believe it is best to see if you can get a postmortem to ensure it is nothing that may have been passed on. it probably wasn't but it is better to be safe. I also agree with popping the temp up a little more and maybe getting that little one used to having a bath a few times a week for hydration as this can be a prob with babies. How is your handling going?

Its great you removed the bark, beardies tend to know they have something non cricket lol and shake it out the mouth. best to use newspaper or paper towels for now and upgrade to tiles or liner/ repti carpet in the long run.

I'm going to give you a link to a web site which shows you good and bad foods for beardies (your food did not kill your baby but it will help keep your other strong) it also explains why it's important to have such a diet.
Nutrition Content they also have growth charts etc. if you don't know where to get the greens/ veg from drop a post and I will tell you.

if you need any advice just ask.. I may be new but now I've found a uk site (yippeee) I'll keep checking in :thumb: chin up we'll try our best to make sure nothing happens to the other xxx jojo xxx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts