Reptile Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a baby bearded dragon who is 3 months old called Milhouse. I have had him a week and up until yesterday he has been fine and active and really happy. I got in from work yesterday and noticed he was just lying on the floor of his vivarium and wasnt really active, so I thought I'd just leave him as he was just basking. 2 hours later he hadn't moved so I got him out and he still lay really still. Usually he would be trying to run all over me and be trying to check everything out. I also noticed all his crickets from the morning where still there. Since then he has just lay still and not hunted or moved about. He hasn't ate a thing. He is barely even lifting his head up.

I took him to the shop where I got him and they said his appearance was fine, but he did look quite bloated. He has been pooing regularly so I know he isnt constipated. They said we should just leave him be for a while and make sure he is hot enough and hopefully his belly will deflate as he might just be really full. I've checked his tank temps, they seem to be fine. Ive been giving him baths but he hates them and tries to get out.

He did try meal worms for the first time a couple of days ago and ate about 6 of them yesterday morning which I think might of made him poorly.

There are little stones from his desert carpet thing, which I am worried he might of ate?

Does anyone know what this could be or are there any ways I can help him? I'm going to take him to the reptile vets on Monday but just wondering if there's anything I can do in the mean time.

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Hi,

I have a baby bearded dragon who is 3 months old called Milhouse. I have had him a week and up until yesterday he has been fine and active and really happy. I got in from work yesterday and noticed he was just lying on the floor of his vivarium and wasnt really active, so I thought I'd just leave him as he was just basking. 2 hours later he hadn't moved so I got him out and he still lay really still. Usually he would be trying to run all over me and be trying to check everything out. I also noticed all his crickets from the morning where still there. Since then he has just lay still and not hunted or moved about. He hasn't ate a thing. He is barely even lifting his head up.

I took him to the shop where I got him and they said his appearance was fine, but he did look quite bloated. He has been pooing regularly so I know he isnt constipated. They said we should just leave him be for a while and make sure he is hot enough and hopefully his belly will deflate as he might just be really full. I've checked his tank temps, they seem to be fine. Ive been giving him baths but he hates them and tries to get out.

He did try meal worms for the first time a couple of days ago and ate about 6 of them yesterday morning which I think might of made him poorly.

There are little stones from his desert carpet thing, which I am worried he might of ate?

Does anyone know what this could be or are there any ways I can help him? I'm going to take him to the reptile vets on Monday but just wondering if there's anything I can do in the mean time.

Hi, it would be a good idea to run through your whole enclosure, just so we all know where we stand when advising you, what your temperatures are, (basking, ambient, and cool end) his UVB source, type, distance he can get too (reflected or unreflected)

Generally speaking though, bearded dragons are reptiles, so energy conserves, they aren't as active as a mammal might be, so what might be normal to him, could just be normal to you, how I am reading your situation, is if he has a podge, and wasn't moving, he was just basking, (thermoregulating) to digest his food, the moving him from his environment, back to the pet shop will definitely have slowed that down, and due to the cooler drop made him perhaps a little more lethargic.

They are lazy animals until a predator comes along or they see food! :2thumb:

I would be reluctant to say anything else though without knowing your full environment set-up. : victory:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts