Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi a bought a beardie 3 days ago hes about 10 week old
he is in a 4foot by 1 1/2 buy 1 1/2 foot viv
36 inch uv tube 10%
3 thmometers 90-95 at basking 85 in the middle 70-75 at cool end
water bowl with fresh water
food bowl with fresh food (curly kale , spring green and sum strawberries ) he so far has not touched them he has ate 1 small peice of curly kale that he ate out my hand and the same with spring greens both on differndt days but apart from that he hasnt ate any veg.
he has had about 20 crickes in 3 days (brown mediem silent) no poo as off yet eather :-(
he does no run round much ( apart from trying to walk through glass) i have a java log that he will some times get on but i also have a small cardboard box under his basking lamp that i have to put him on but if dont put him der he wont go on it i also have a lage cardboard box at the cool end for him to go into but he hasnt looked twice at it he runs round my room ok and on my bed but doesnt do much in his viv.

my first beardie an i just want him to be healthy and happy :flrt:
please any one hu can help.

also need to name him so any suggestions?

i will upload pics off him an his viv soon thanks

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Don't quote me on this but I think they'd go for veg when they're a wee bit older... maybe... if this isn't the case just leave it in there with him. He'll eat when he's hungry and we all have our food preferences : victory:

·
Registered
185 Posts
if your beardy refuses to eat veg, like all mine do, then feed it to your crickets and locusts. that way the food the beardies are eating is gut loaded with loads of goodness from the veg which they wont eat themselves.

In terms of him not moving around, itl take a while for him to settle in, so just give him a chance and he'l get used to it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
They dont really need veg until they are bigger... but if you want a bit in there it wont hurt, and itll help you keep an eye on any left crickets! If you want hit to have his veg theres nothing wrong with hand feeding him or putting meal worms and crix on top of a bowl of veg...

And as hes still a baba, he will probably spend more time getting UV than running about... from what iv noticed girls always seem to be more active than boys, but dont hold me to that... As long as you know that UV bulb is no older than 6months...

Give him a nice warm bath, he will like that, and it will help him out if he hasnt pooped

Other than that you sound pretty much spot on with everything!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah nothing your doing wrong just give the lil guy a fresh bowl of veg each day and im certain he will start eating it when ready, also try watercress from tesco, morrissons etc its about £1 a bag and 2 of my 3 love it.

And as for the hides......i would take it/them out as its the last thing u need for a beardie :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Beardies when young require a diet of 80% live prey and 20% vegetables. Beardies are omnivourous, so do need veg as well.

I agree with the hides, remove them whilst young as will tend to use them too much and not get the desired UV.

As for the post above about watercress. avoid this if possible it is a contributing factor to giving your beardie the 2 bob bits (sh!ts:lol2:)
and beardie poop stinks when normal, when they have the runs.....oh may days!!!! When Helio had cress and she deficated, it cleared my house out :lol2:

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
As young a beardie should eat 70% meat 30% veg that swaps around when there older. Altough alot wont eat it you should leave a fresh bowl in everyday and they will start to take it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys thanks alot ill put sum pics on soon just so i haven over looked any think and ill try bathing him tonight when i get home from work if he still hasnt pooped, im getting some rocks tonight for him to bask on so i can get rig off the boxes as thay were just temp for him any way, an ill feed veg to the crickets iv got him to gut load but ill still put fresh in his bowl just incase iv also got apple carrot and crest already to try him on never now maby ill find a winner

still open to names for the lil fellow

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
i'd up your basking temps to 110-115F too :) x

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Pics are easier when faced with names lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as i sed above the hides are just boxes but like i sed he hasnt entertaind them any way and thay wer always just going to be a temp till i got sum nice rocks an pebbles for him, one was just for him to bask on an the other he hasnt even looked at but thay will come out 2night an some nice rocks going in insted also with me only having him 3 days am i better leaving him alone to get setteld or should i get him used to me handling him? thanks :2thumb:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Beardies when young require a diet of 80% live prey and 20% vegetables. Beardies are omnivourous, so do need veg as well.

I agree with the hides, remove them whilst young as will tend to use them too much and not get the desired UV.

As for the post above about watercress. avoid this if possible it is a contributing factor to giving your beardie the 2 bob bits (sh!ts:lol2:)
and beardie poop stinks when normal, when they have the runs.....oh may days!!!! When Helio had cress and she deficated, it cleared my house out :lol2:
Im the opposite to you then because i give my beardies what suits them not what suits me, and watercress is what they like so the smell is kinda irrelevant

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Im the opposite to you then because i give my beardies what suits them not what suits me, and watercress is what they like so the smell is kinda irrelevant
im sorry but that was a little uncalled for. I didnt say i give them food what suits me what so ever. I am NOT going to give anybody/any animal ANYTHING which can give them a stomach upset. To me, thats responsible ownership of an animal. You would not eat something over and over again if it made you have the s***s would you? thats why i myself, and quite a few beardie owners on here agree that cress could - not always contribute to an upset stomach.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
verry worried

hi as i posted early my beardie wasnt eating veg hes now not eating at all hes not eat any think all day hes tryed to eat a cricket but has thrown it up :( iv bathed him and hes had 3 sucssfull poo's :) but wont eat any think nw and keeps standing proud an opening his mouth dono whats up with him :( please help

·
Registered
526 Posts
im sorry but that was a little uncalled for. I didnt say i give them food what suits me what so ever. I am NOT going to give anybody/any animal ANYTHING which can give them a stomach upset. To me, thats responsible ownership of an animal. You would not eat something over and over again if it made you have the s***s would you? thats why i myself, and quite a few beardie owners on here agree that cress could - not always contribute to an upset stomach.
I apologise F1D0, im rubbish at wording things and reading it back im out of order so please accept my apology :notworthy:

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you've only had him a short time her could be opening his mouth in a deffensive way, to warn you to stay away. He's just adjusting to his new home, you, your house etc.

I'd leave him a few days to settle in. just open the viv to feed him, and spot clean etc.

One of my babies wouldn't eat veg, I used to put her some in everyday, just a small amount with a couple of meal worms on top, she was intrested in them, and used to get a bit of greens when she ate them. She now eats her greens well without the mealworms. It might help yours too, its just that they haven't aquired a taste for veg yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts