Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
We got our two baby beardie's on sunday. They are 6 weeks old and we were told they can not be sexed but two are fine together though we knew at some point we may have to seperate them and I am now very worried as have read lot's of people saying they shouldn't be together. They are from the same clutch. The larger ( not significantly but 1cm) is eating lot's of crickets and cress and the smaller has also eaten and both have been pooing. The larger is quite happy plodding around the viv which is 40 - 18m-18 so we do know we have to upgrade when they grow.

They both arm wave a teeny bit and have not gone for each other in any way at all but the larger goes for the crickets quicker and the smaller when he can see us just stands at the front of the tank looking at us and sometimes scratches at the glass.

I have convinced myself it is trying to tell me it wants out.

Should I get another viv and seperate them straight away or wait to see how they get on? I couldn't live with myself if one got hurt.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
It is fairly common for them to scratch at the glass especially when they are settling in. I would not seperate them just yet but you may well have to at some point. If you have two females you can be lucky and they will be able to live together. Male and Male can not really be kept together from about the age of 4 months or when you see signs of fighting or dominance. Male and Female from the same clutch should not be able to breed and again you should seperate from the age of about 4-5 months as males sexually mature quicker than females.

I would just keep them toghether but, keep an eye on them especially at feed time to make sure they are getting equal amounts of food and one is not dominating the other.

Liz x

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you dont know the sex, personally id seperate if they are two males sooner or later one will be bullied, stressed and possibly not always get the food needed.
Even if its a male and female they cant be kept together always as the female wont have a break from being humped.
Hope this helps ?
bats

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for advice. Should i remove the bigger whilst feeding

My partner has suggested taking out the larger for 10 mins when feeding to give the smaller a chance to feed but is this a good idea or cruel to the larger one?

I am going to order another viv this weekend just incase.

Thanks x

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
If it would put your mind at rest seperate them now. I have taken some of my bigger babies out while the smaller ones have fed and there has not been a problem with that.

Liz x

·
Registered
849 Posts
My partner has suggested taking out the larger for 10 mins when feeding to give the smaller a chance to feed but is this a good idea or cruel to the larger one?

I am going to order another viv this weekend just incase.

Thanks x

I dont have bds but I guess thats jus common sense, if the smaller one is being bullied and not getting his share then seperate while feeding. im having to do the same thing with my cresties, in a few weeks ill be seperating them
good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts