Reptile Forums banner

Baby Beardy Not Eating

703 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Twilightdreamer1979 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I have two 6 week old beardies. When i got them both last friday, they ate loads for the first few days, then the smaller one lost his appetite, then started shedding. Now the smaller one is eating well again, but the larger one is just sat on his basking site, hes only had a little drink, but no food for a day now. Could this be him also getting ready to shed? .Also, theyre being fed small black crickets and salad. any help appreciated, chris

#9 ·
Baby Beardie

Have they got a large shallow water dish?

If not, find something - a saucer will do .. make the water room temp..
put the dish in the viv.

Put the non pooing baby beardie in it and give him a little spray with water while he's in there - fingers crossed, the water spray will encourage him to drink and the water he's sitting in will encourage him to poop ;)

What supplimetns are you giveing them on their foods? and what size Crickets are you feeding them? Sorry, I'm new here and I have no idea how much or little Beardie experience you have, but remember not to feed them anything larger than the gap between their eyes. Just because they can eat it doesn't mean they should :whistling2:

TD.x.

#13 ·
PLEASE Don't use just nutrobol .. you need to get some PURE calcium.

Babies, especially hatchlings, can OD on the vit A contained in Nutrobol ... trust me I speak from personal experience :cry: get some plain pure calcium dust ...

I use Calipso pure calcium dust.

TD.x.
I wouldn't say don't use nurtobol, use but but not everyday and pure calcium at least everyday till there arounda year old.

#12 ·
dehydration is usually a cause for poor feeding behaviour so pinch his skin and watch it retain its shape, if it remains creased then you beardy is slightly dehydrated, also is your uv tube in need of replacement or positioned wrong or even the wrong percentage of uvb. you could try flood feeding, not with crickets but locusts, this may play on the senses, lots of movement. How much do you feed your beardies?

#14 ·
Ok, ive ordered some pure calcium. Shes purked up a bit, but still sleeps constantly. I will see how she goes. I put her in shallow water, and pipette water to her, she drank a little, but not much. If it continues throught tomorrow, should i take her to the vet, i dont want to put her under unnessecary stress if i can elp it. regards, chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.