Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby beardy (5 weeks old) is in a 3 foot wooden viv and has a repti-glo 10.0 strip light the length of the viv and a reflector above it, a good setup i think, so far (as far as I'M aware) he hasn't eaten any greens and will only take a couple of crix at a time, a few times a day so like 6-8 crix a day obviously im dusting them with calcium everytime i feed and vits 2 out of those 7 days...
Heres the problem though, ive kept it simple in terms of decore, ive got a basking spot, small water bowl, a small lid for greens, a shelf about half way up the back-side in the cool end and a piece of wood going upto the shelf also ive got a small artificial plant on the shelf but as he's a baby he's quite skittish and hides alot (in the plant) and im worrying hes not getting enough UV to absorb the small amount of calcium he has been getting! He does move around the viv and does bask but spends alot of his time in the damn plant!

should i remove the plant so he's always exposed to the UV or should i leave it in there so he feels secure and let him come out when he wants??

I'm not too concerned atm as he is otherwise healthy and active as can be expected for a scared little beardy and im sure as he gets more ballsy and comes out more he'll be fine but for now what do you think i should do???

Thanks in advance

GeckoD: victory:

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Yes babies shouldn't have any thing to hide behind if you see how any of the breeders keep there babies it will be just an empty viv with a little some thing to climb up.
If the baby has some where to hide it will hide so just clear the viv out and keep it minimal for another couple of months then start adding all your decorations and hiding places.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duely noted, the plant goes! lol feel sorry for him now...
Thanks for the advice:2thumb:

·
Registered
353 Posts
who sold you a beardie at 5 weeks old ???

when i have hatchlings some of them wont eat green till there 6,7,8 weeks plus as they only think food moves etc

keep putting greens in and it will soon learn that its food

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
who sold you a beardie at 5 weeks old ???

when i have hatchlings some of them wont eat green till there 6,7,8 weeks plus as they only think food moves etc

keep putting greens in and it will soon learn that its food
Uhh the reptile shop guy!? He said they were about a month old and were feeding/growing well...I just happend to see a bright eyed little abbo chomping down on a cricket when i went to pick one out so i chose him/her :)
I have been putting it in every day so far, he hasn't looked twice at it but like you said they associate movement with food to begin with so...
Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Keep offering the veg daily, he'll soon start to eat it. Mine get offered veg from 72 hours old and soon start on it. The pet shop should have been selling them at that age, remove the plant and let him settle for a week, hopefully he'll start eating more

·
Registered
432 Posts
Uhh the reptile shop guy!? He said they were about a month old and were feeding/growing well...I just happend to see a bright eyed little abbo chomping down on a cricket when i went to pick one out so i chose him/her :)
I have been putting it in every day so far, he hasn't looked twice at it but like you said they associate movement with food to begin with so...
Thanks for the info :)
Just stick at it he'll come round eventually :thumb:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...it's nice to have some reassurance on the issue! he look so small in a 3 foot viv lol. well im sure he won't in a couple of months!:)
Cheers
GeckoD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts