Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new baby Boa on Tuesday of last week, and it was all fine, I put aspen into the viv, and thought nothing of it. I left the snake to settle in for a while, and when I took him out yesterday, I found 2 or 3 small bugs. Mites. I emptied the viv, and disinfected it, and treated the snake using a beaphar insect spray which I got from the shop I bought him from. I cleaned the viv thoroughly with a beaphar disinfectant and put kitchen towel in as substrate, and I boiled all the decor and his hide and bowl for a few hours, to be safe. Today, I took him out, and found a very live mite that fell off him. I also got some conflicting advice. The beaphar spray, says to treat the snake once every 4 weeks, allowing the spray to soak into the skin, but the shop owner said to spray it onto his scales, and wipe it off fairly quickly, and I'd like to know, which is the best to do? Any other advice you guys can give will be greatly appreciate! Thanks!

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
I got a new baby Boa on Tuesday of last week, and it was all fine, I put aspen into the viv, and thought nothing of it. I left the snake to settle in for a while, and when I took him out yesterday, I found 2 or 3 small bugs. Mites. I emptied the viv, and disinfected it, and treated the snake using a beaphar insect spray which I got from the shop I bought him from. I cleaned the viv thoroughly with a beaphar disinfectant and put kitchen towel in as substrate, and I boiled all the decor and his hide and bowl for a few hours, to be safe. Today, I took him out, and found a very live mite that fell off him. I also got some conflicting advice. The beaphar spray, says to treat the snake once every 4 weeks, allowing the spray to soak into the skin, but the shop owner said to spray it onto his scales, and wipe it off fairly quickly, and I'd like to know, which is the best to do? Any other advice you guys can give will be greatly appreciate! Thanks!
I know nothing of beaphar so can't comment on that - I use callingtons or ardap on mites. Sounds like you have the other things under control and are doing everything right up to now. I would get some callingtons personally if you only have the one snake : victory:

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
anything that you may have to wipe off fairly quickly really does not sound very safe to me to be honest!!
as artisan said get yourself a can of callingtons!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, I've ordered a can of callingtons, but I treated my snake with Beaphar yesterday, I'm just curious as to whether I can treat the viv and snake with callingtons as well? Thanks

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Right, I've ordered a can of callingtons, but I treated my snake with Beaphar yesterday, I'm just curious as to whether I can treat the viv and snake with callingtons as well? Thanks
Take out the water bowl and spray inside the viv for a few seconds. Don't spray directly at the snake and repeat after 7 days then bingo!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts