Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent posted in a while, but recently went to an expo and picked up a little bundle of keel scaled, unibrowed cuteness I thought you guys might like to check out! Meet Rufus the bullsnake..

seems a little shy right?

erm yea, not really. This guy is pretty confident for being a worm!

Still hungry, I misjudged prey item size apparently

Samurai Harvey is unimpressed

Thanks for checking us out!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Looks like you picked up a great little snake. My first ever snake was a bull, and I don't regret selling anything more than I regret selling him. Might have to pick one up once I've dug out the old faunarium in my parent's house :)

Reactions: ariley10

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I know, I'd like to see some fancy morphs, even a fraction of how many varieties the more popular species get. But at the same time I find their natural paint job stunning as well :flrt:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Can't beat a natural bull. : victory:
There is more than enough locality variation to have half a dozen different looking "normals" without resorting to messing around with genetics! :notworthy:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That pic is beyond cute!!:flrt: dont think i have seen a little one, usually all adult and looking mean, even if they are sweethearts!
I know what you mean about the adults! The scales above their eyes slant and jut out ever so much that you get that "I'm angry" vibe. When they're little they have big puppy dog eyes:)

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Bulls are lovely snakes. I have had a few pits over the years, and found them all to be gentle, friendly, and very inquisitive.
I am hoping to get a very rarely bred subspecies of gopher in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The only reason I've never had a bullsnake is I've heard people say they need a lot of feeding and hence cleaning out, which I haven't got time for. Anyway, Rufus looks lovely! Good luck with him.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The only reason I've never had a bullsnake is I've heard people say they need a lot of feeding and hence cleaning out, which I haven't got time for. Anyway, Rufus looks lovely! Good luck with him.
Not true John. All the pits (certainly the ones I've had - gopher, pine and bull, one of each) have great appetites, and almost never refuse food, but they don't need feeding or crap any more than any other N. American colubrid.
They have even lost the undeserved "nasty" reputation that came with wild caught adults from years gone by.
Active, diurnal, generally mild mannered, usually confident and bomb proof. Do it. : victory:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not true John. All the pits (certainly the ones I've had - gopher, pine and bull, one of each) have great appetites, and almost never refuse food, but they don't need feeding or crap any more than any other N. American colubrid.
They have even lost the undeserved "nasty" reputation that came with wild caught adults from years gone by.
Active, diurnal, generally mild mannered, usually confident and bomb proof. Do it. : victory:
I agree, they're just bigger than the more common colubrid pet species so they will need larger prey and obviously have larger bowel movements :lol2: Frequency remains the same. Agree about temperment too, hissing and striking are usually a bluff and strikes are usually closed mouthed, if it even happens.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I always wanted a bull snake, but didn't have the space for an adult if I ended up with a big 7 footer! So I got a gopher snake instead, and I am certainly not disappointed! Never shown any agression, and is so much fun and so inquisitive! I love pits, I think they're so pretty and underrated, congrats! :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts