Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Looking for some tips on how to get my New Hatchling Corn to Eat.

I got it from an exotics pet shop nearly 2 weeks ago and the little thing just isnt interested in any food.

i have tried all the usuall things but just no further forwards. I even tried different sizes of pinkies.

it hasent shed yet is this the problem???

Help me plz!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Did it feed in the shop? Do you know?

You say you have tried the usual things.... what exactly are they?

Also what temps do you have it at? :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
do you have a thermostat? how big is the cage? have you tried:

- braining.
- putting the corn in a very small tub with a pinky leave it for AN HOUR OR SO.
- scenting with tuna fish.
- taking the water out for 2 days then feeding with a wet pinky.
hope this helps....
henry

·
Registered
36,627 Posts
Right try not to worry 2 weeks isn't really that long when you are a snake lol
When you say it hasn't shed yet, did the shop say they were expecting it to soon ????
What temp is it at, does it have enough places to hide so it feels secure ??
I would personally try next feed giving the oinkie at night before you go to bed, leave it in there overnight and provided the snake is ok it should be gone in morning :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the Corn is in a small plastic RUB with alot of hides.

i have left her with the pinky in a smaller tub, i have tried Braining the pinky, heating the pinky, and left it over night, but still nothing.

She is still active and (on the outside) seems totally normal. Even has a Heart Shape spot right on the Top of her head.

We dont have a thermostat. The guy in the shop said as long as only half the RUB was on the Heat mat she would be fine.

Am guessing the guy was talking Mince?

How do i scent with Tuna?
Drain the Juices from a tin and Leave the pinky in it for a while?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
36,627 Posts
the Corn is in a small plastic RUB with alot of hides.

i have left her with the pinky in a smaller tub, i have tried Braining the pinky, heating the pinky, and left it over night, but still nothing.

She is still active and (on the outside) seems totally normal. Even has a Heart Shape spot right on the Top of her head.

We dont have a thermostat. The guy in the shop said as long as only half the RUB was on the Heat mat she would be fine.

Am guessing the guy was talking Mince?

How do i scent with Tuna?
Drain the Juices from a tin and Leave the pinky in it for a while?

thanks guys!
That guy needs a slap.You will prob find the poor thing is too hot :( a heat mat will just stay really hot if there is no stat to control the temps so you will prob find temps inside are roasting .
Firstly move so only 1/3 is on mat, this should make it a little cooler for now, then buy a stat asap.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have a thermometere in the cage to test the tems. Do I need a specific stat for the mat? My corn has been fine for 8 months so......

·
Registered
36,627 Posts
I have a thermometere in the cage to test the tems. Do I need a specific stat for the mat? My corn has been fine for 8 months so......
It is best as the mat will not stop heating when tub gets to the right temp so if it is a warm day the tub will get hotter than ideal and if mat malfunctions ( as they do from time to time) it will continue to heat past a safe temp the stat will turn it off, saving your snake and possibly yourself ( if mat was to get hot enough to catch fire)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
okay, I'll buy as soon as I am back home.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi,
i would suggest contacting the shop that you bought it from to check that it had already fed, we have 19 hatchlings at the moment and keep feeding records for all of them, if its a reputable shop they should be able to tell you. If its fed once then it should feed again, it may be just adjusting to its new surroundings.

On the living conditions, i agree, half the rub covered is too much, especially if its not statted, reduce to a third. Also is there plenty of ventilation? if its hot and humid, thats not the best for corns.

You say that there are plenty of hides, this implies a larger rub, we keep our hatchlings in small food containers about 20cm by 15cm, with lots of ventilation holes all around the tub to allow air to flow through and half a toilet roll tube to hide in. This smaller space makes them more likely to feed, obviously we will move them on after a few more weeks.

Another one, apart from tuna scenting, is to use a string mix of chicken stock to get them to feed, obvioulsy only use this to get them feeding as the stock is very high in salt.

Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tbh i wouldnt say "guy" more like boy. lol.

the shop seems to be owned by an older guy who lets "kids" run it for him.

Yeah - the Tub we have it in is a food container, for hides i have just cut-up 2 loo-roll tubes, and she has a lid from a bottle for water.

i will try the tuna thing tonight and see how that goes.

thanks guys!

any more tips - keep posting!!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
try asking Bladeblaster...he just got a load of non-feeders to feed...making them ex-nonfeeders!
see his thread...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts