Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, we got a baby corn snake yesterday and was wondering when to put the red light on and how long for, the snake is only about 2mths old.thanx luv cathx

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
hi ,
has your baby got a heat mat attatched to a thermostat ?
. can you let us know what the set up is then we can answer fully and tell you what is the very best for your baby :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Generally speaking, a corn snake will need an area (up to half of the viv or tub) that reaches a temp of around 86F/30C for at least 12 hours a day, with the rest of the viv being in the 70'sF. As long as night time temps stay in the 70's it'll be ok, but you could leave the red bulb on 24/7 as long as it's not too bright.

What type of set up have you got?

A baby (hatchling) corn only needs a small plastic tub really - about 15"x10"x5" would be ideal for yours - a plastic lunchbox with ventilation holes drilled is ideal. But you would need a heat mat and matstat for this type of set up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
keep the bulb onto a thermostat and leave it on all the time and let the thermostat turn it on or off. the temp should be 31C or there abouts... red lights can stay on for the whole time as snakes don't register red lights.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we have a heat mat under half the viv, and a pigmi red bulb in use we have been told today only put hte heat mat on at night. the temp at the mo is between 77 - 81.we have put a hide in and quite a bit of hay like stuff thats specailly for snakes.we have also put a log in and quite a big water bowl.we also have a guard over the buld to stop tango burning him/herself ?.luv cathx

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
if its hot enough without the bulb then i would not bother.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
in all honesty 99% will tell you its too low...
imo its ok, i just wouldnt let it drop much lower.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
weve only had the light on an hour or 2 at the most so far the temp does seem to be rising slowley, the reason we have only had it on for a short space of thime is we were trying to get hold of a guard the it didnt burn.luv cathx ps what does imo mean haveing a senior momen he he.x

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
if you dont have a guard then i wouldnt use it myself..
if you have 80 ish the snake will live.. its not that cold outside.

G

·
0 Posts
For corns i would aim to get a temp at the hot end of around 84-86.I used to achieve this by having a heat mat on stat and then a pygmy bulb used during the day.The pygmy bulb should not heat the viv too much but if it is a warm day then the heat mat will not operate as the stat wont allow it to but if it does get cooler then the heat mat kicks in a raises the temp without any worries.Just turn the light of at night and the viv should get enough of a drop in temp to sort out your night time lows

1 - 13 of 13 Posts