Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a bit worried. The new gecko dont seem to be eating.

The first day i got him (Saturday) he ate a worm or 2. On the second day i noticed that a worm had shed in his tank but i couldn't find the worm, he must have ate it.

Now he has been pooping everyday since, but since sunday i havn't noticed him eat any worms.

He is very young, i can't say how old because i wasn't told but he is tiny.

Is this common with young lizards. I remember my other one did it, but im still worried.

I have put him in a small container with a worm inside and im going to see if he eats that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ahhhh all went to plan, Leo ate the worm when i placed him in a container with nothing but a worm.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
you might also want to consider offering other types of livefood, young geckos tend to be very fond of crickets. If you are feeding him waxworms then be aware they are too fatty to be anything other than an infrequent treat for young leopards.

Mason

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was considering crickets. I used to feed both to my other gecko, until the cricket tub went over and they all escaped, luckily they couldn't get out the room and we got them all out.

I will give it a try though, dex was fond of crickets.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
if he is a baby...he no doubt eats only 1-3 mealies or small crix a day or two...
so instead of leaving mealworms in there, offer him one or 2 items at a time whilst you watch, that way theres no ifs or buts and you know exactly what he is eating.

I see in your second post you put him in another tub for feeding most recently, thats good.. but you can still feed him in his usual house/viv/tub.

·
Registered
572 Posts
yeah thats the best way 2 make sure there feeding. my monitors viv is huge, specially compaired 2 him so what i do is jus offer him 1 cricket at a time so i can make sure he finds them. that way u get 2 have a good laugh as there runnin round tryin 2 catch the crickets too. i always hand feed him any dead prey. that way he has no problems finding his food and i know for a fact that he's eating fine.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
yeah thats the best way 2 make sure there feeding. my monitors viv is huge, specially compaired 2 him so what i do is jus offer him 1 cricket at a time so i can make sure he finds them. that way u get 2 have a good laugh as there runnin round tryin 2 catch the crickets too. i always hand feed him any dead prey. that way he has no problems finding his food and i know for a fact that he's eating fine.

I do that with moz frow one in for him if he eats it i frow another one in and so on its fun watching him eat he gets well excited and he always has a bowl of meal worms in there that i swop everyday for ones that are more gut loaded:no1:just got him some wax worms today so he will be getting one of them later but he will only be getting one of them once a week:)

·
Registered
705 Posts
this is why young ones are so tricky at times. you have to offer to them at first always. just wait until they notice the mealie or crick and drop it. over time do this less regularly and leave more in there for them to hunt for themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts