Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I just got my first Kenyan Sand Boa at a reptile show. She is an anery who is about 4 months old according to the seller.

Since I got her about 2 weeks ago, I’ve caught her yawning multiple times. A few times were when she was still in the cup from the show, so I thought maybe the air holes weren’t enough. But since then, I’ve caught her yawning a few more times.

Her first meal, poop and shed went fine. But I’m a first time snake parent, so I’m worried!

She’s in a plastic tub with ventilation holes drilled on all sides and the lid. She’s currently on aspen, though was on paper towels for the first week.

I know yawning can be a sign of respiratory infection, so I wanted to know if I should be taking her to the vet or not.

Any info or advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's probably nothing.

Respiratory infections usually also result in excess fluid in the mouth and nostrils and noisy breathing

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Snakes yawn.... they might be bored, stretching the skin prior to shed, re-align after a meal, or maybe as they are bored or tiered (who knows if they experience boredom but its possible)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts