Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby albino leo, who is about 3 months old, will only eat waxworms. She's had a few butterworms too but has gone off these. I know the waxworms aren't good because they are high in fat. She's just not interested in small crickets or small locusts. She likes wiggly things rather than creepy crawlies! :roll: Have got some mini mealworm in a jam jar lid in the viv but not bothered by those either. I think she's female, but being so young I am not 100% sure. She lives with two other babies, another female who is about 4/5 months and a suspected male who is only a month old.

Would anyone recommend separating her from the other two for a while to see if that helps? She is quite timid, so not sure if this would make her worse. The other two are eating fine. She is healthy with a good tail, but she can't live off waxworms! HELP please! :?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you tried to separate her from the others, perhaps she is slightly intimidated? Or even with the light off, as albinos tend to have poor eyesight?

good luck

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
this happened to mine and a few others on here in the past, basically the waxworms are like chocolate to her so why have cricks when you can get chocolate, the only way to solve this is just be strong and don't give in eventually she will get hungry enough to take something else, once you get her eating other stuff again leave it some time before you try waxworm or else same thing will happen ..... :D

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hi

Waxworms are adictive, and some breeders do use them alot to 'fatten up' babies fast.

Best bet, if it were me, is seperate her, ensure her new viv has right set up and leave her with out food of any type for two days. then try her with a 3rd or 4th cricket, see her reaction. if nothing try the next day around dusk. If that still fails, wait another two days and maybe try a 2nd locust.

As nicky said, she will eat when she is hungry unless she is stressed buy being with others, maybe a dominance thing or she is ill. All possible but not as much as she is just spoilt with the waxies

Good luck

Tony

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
yeh stop with the wax worms.mine did exactly the same untill i stopped feeding him.he sulked for 2 weeks then he started eating normal again.leos are best kept alone aswell.i no its nice to have a friend but problems such as bullying are going to start and its more hassell.try silk worms.they are hard to get hold of but the look like wax worms so you can sometimes fool them.either that or my leo is just stupid lol :)

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Sorry, I dont agree that leos are best alone.

Sure it dont do them any harm, but those of mine I have together seem to enjoy the company

Having said that, individuals may take a disliking to another, and you do have to keep alert for bullying and dominance issues.

But is they are ok, IMHO it does no harm at all

Tony

·
Registered
209 Posts
my leos did exactly the same, because waxies are so addictive they will 9 times out of 10 stop eating anything else! mine also did it with pinkies!
i sovlved the problem by only offering crix or locust (one or the other) i did that for a week my youngest started eating them but the older female didnt i then didnt offer her anything for a 3-4 days (as long as the tail is a reasonable size) she still didnt take so i increased the time i was leaving the offering of food items! this way when she finally did eat she bascially had to as she hadent seen anything for a while and jumped at the opputunity to eat! she didnt take for around 2 weeks all together! i wouldnt recommend leaving him/her any longer than 2 weeks.
i hope that helps!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I fed them in the dark last night and Lily the albino had two hoppers so I was over the moon! :)

They prefer hoppers to crickets. Stopped the waxworms now. Hopefully she will carry on eating in the dark.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I seem have a nack of acquiring geckos that are fussy to feed. :roll: My male is about 18 months old. He only eats medium to large hoppers, not adults and will only eat two a week at most. He's always been the same. His tail is healthy and he weighs 42g which isn't a lot, but he's happy and healthy. He likes butterworms too, but he likes to be hand fed! Lazy and fussy. But he was my first reptile so he has a special place in my heart. He's the most beautiful bright hi-yellow with a lavender tail <3

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
unless you have a breeding pair i was told they should be kept alone unless they are young.it even states in the leopard gecko manuel but i supose at the end of the day its up to the owners personal choice and experience. :D

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Maybe they were refering to males. You cant keep males in a group once they mature, but females are fine.

I have 6 vivs with 2 females each right now, and up untill last week had 3 together.

Like all animals, humans included, there will be those who wont share, but on the whole I have no issues.

Thats the good thing about these forums, we can chat to one another and gain info that we may not have had otherwise.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
yeh thats true.i think someone should write a book on the "what if my gecko" issues.they would make a bomb! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts