Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've been keeping Leo's for years but it's been 8+ years since I last had a baby so I can't really remember much of the specifics relating to them(hence the 'newbie') Basically I recently got a juvie gecko and she seemed to be thriving, kept on a safe impaction free substrate, with adequate heat and water. But in the last week I've noticed she's not really eating, and never seems to leave her hide. She was definitely eating fine and her stools looked normal for a Leo, but they've now become watery and pale. I've only had her 2 weeks today, but she hasn't eaten in 4 days now and I'm super worried, she hasn't really responded to different sizes/types of prey items, or even half a mealworm offered juicy side first. Shop is super reputable too, so I doubt they'd allow an animal they knew to have a parasite to go on sale. I'm monologuing a bit, but I've never had a problem gecko like this, so any advice would be most appreciated!!

·
Registered
32,809 Posts
OK, so I've been keeping Leo's for years but it's been 8+ years since I last had a baby so I can't really remember much of the specifics relating to them(hence the 'newbie') Basically I recently got a juvie gecko and she seemed to be thriving, kept on a safe impaction free substrate, with adequate heat and water. But in the last week I've noticed she's not really eating, and never seems to leave her hide. She was definitely eating fine and her stools looked normal for a Leo, but they've now become watery and pale. I've only had her 2 weeks today, but she hasn't eaten in 4 days now and I'm super worried, she hasn't really responded to different sizes/types of prey items, or even half a mealworm offered juicy side first. Shop is super reputable too, so I doubt they'd allow an animal they knew to have a parasite to go on sale. I'm monologuing a bit, but I've never had a problem gecko like this, so any advice would be most appreciated!!
Set up details? All of them that is- otherwise no one can help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Set up details? All of them that is- otherwise no one can help.
Basically got her in a 1.5 ft by 1 ft viv, using kitchen roll as the substrate, with a temp controlled heat strip set to keep the hot end approx 30 degrees during the day, with a warm wet hide and a dry hide in the cooler half. All other stuff like light is exactly the same as my other Leo's, and general environmental warmth is approx 24 degrees. Naturally she's got access to fresh water and calci dust, and I've been trying to tong feed her as well as leaving prey items in overnight every day for natural hunting.

·
Registered
32,809 Posts
Basically got her in a 1.5 ft by 1 ft viv, using kitchen roll as the substrate, with a temp controlled heat strip set to keep the hot end approx 30 degrees during the day, with a warm wet hide and a dry hide in the cooler half. All other stuff like light is exactly the same as my other Leo's, and general environmental warmth is approx 24 degrees. Naturally she's got access to fresh water and calci dust, and I've been trying to tong feed her as well as leaving prey items in overnight every day for natural hunting.
I would increase the hot end to 35.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hi, I think it will b every difficult to get a decent temp and humidity gradient in such a small enclosure, also you need to give the animal more time to fully acclimate before you start tong feeding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Thomas,

have you currently made a change in feeding your baby gecko? Watery stools can be caused by certain supplements, certain insects may just not sit well with them, or a change in gut-loading might cause it as well. If he has no interest in eating though, is rapidly loosing weight, is lethargic and hiding away, it might be a parasite and should be checked by a vet.

Also, has your gecko been shedding recently? Geckos usually eat their skin and hide a lot in their hides as they feel vulnerable. They can go pretty long time without food, unless it’s weight is falling down rapidly.

Call your local vet or herp vet, for the time being, keep it well hydrated by soaking. Perhaps take it’s stool to the vet if it decides to eat something.

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,590 Posts
It may be a good idea to get a faecal screen for parasites done. Many herps have a low level of internal parasites but any change is stressful which can result in a proliferation. Your local herp vet can do this or Pinmore Animal Labs will do tests by post

1 - 9 of 9 Posts