Reptile Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got two map turtles last week and while one was adventurous and in and out of the water the other barely eat, went in the water or moved. Today I woke up and he was being Pulled into the current and being pushed away again. I then noticed that he was nOt using his front legs and just pushing himself around with his back ones. I've seperated him from the other just now but he looks really unwell. I've called the pet shop and they have apologised, explained that unfortunately this happens sometimes and will exchange him but should I? Should I see if he improves? What will happen if I take him back and will my other turtle accept a new friend as he got along with this one great.

Please help!

Thank you

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Firstly, you are right in separating him. How deep is the water in your tank? Being pushed by the current indicates that it is very weak, which could be due to exhaustion if he there weren't many places to rest near the surface of the water.

Otherwise, he may be ill with something more severe, and limb problems can mean metabolic bone disease.

Keep him in a separate tub with just a small amount of water (about halfway up the turtle, so that he can breath out of the water without much effort) and keep him warm. The addition of an electrolyte supplement to the water may help, such as T-Rex Hydro-life could also help get his strength up and could be added to the water.

Honestly, returning him to the pet shop will be a waste of time. They may well do nothing for him, and the journey will add further stress. See if he improves.

As for getting another turtle, they are not particularly social animals, and having more that one per enclosure causes more problems (bullying, out competing for food, disease spread etc). If your ill turtle recovers, you could try and reintroduce him once you are sure he is healthy again, but otherwise I'd recommend keeping your other turtle alone.

Best,
Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts