Reptile Forums banner

Baby Mourning Geckos

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  elishacoombes9 
#1 ·
We have two adult mourning geckos and are currently waiting on our first few eggs to hatch. We planned to take out whatever they laid eggs on and hatch them in a separate tub, but they laid them on the mesh lid and moving them/putting a cup over them to catch the babies when they hatch is impossible. We're trying to make sure our viv is escape proof (we've had the adults escape once already) and don't want to lose any babies.
They're in an exo terra 45x45x45. We've blocked up the holes the cables go in through, the vents at the bottom of the doors and the little gaps in the corners of the doors. Does anyone have experience with mourning geckos and can tell us if there are there any other possible escape routes we need to worry about?

#2 ·
I've never bred mourning geckos myself so my input is limited. But my personal biggest concern would be cannibalism by the adults. Certainly seen it with some livebearing skinks in the past. But as I said I haven't bred this species myself. Hopefully someone with direct experience can help more.

#3 ·
You’ll be fine if no ways to escape. I’m sure you know all mournings are females and self reproduce so keep this in mind as before long you’ll be over run haha. They glue their eggs so removing them I wouldn’t advise as you may tip and you shouldn’t turn the eggs at all so id leave them be. They’ll be fine wherever they lay :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.