Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,
as some as you know I have agreed to rehome 2 baby Royals as there owner is in financial ruin and has to be out her home by Monday.
I went to pick them up today as she is going early.
I have taken one of them too a local rep shop as they agreed to monitor her for a while and try and get her feeding by herself (very nice man he is)
Anyway, I brought the male home and he's georgous, 6 months old (ish) and very inquisitive.
I thought it may be best to leave him a few days to settle in, just change his water regular. Im dying to handle him but dont want to stress him out.
Dont know what to call him? Was watching Lost last night and thought Echo sounded pretty cool.
How long would you guys reccomaned leaving him?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
awwwww...... congrats! I think Echo's a brilliant name too!

With both of mine I didn't start to handle until after they'd fed for me, just so that I knew they weren't stressed. Maybe I was a bit overcautious though, so I'd say leave him at least one week and preferably two if you can bear it!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou!

Yeah, I was thinking, leave him a week then feed him, then handle him (not straight after feed!)

He's not stopped since being here, he's more lively and inquisitive then I thought he would be.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Little help please.

Just filled his water bowl and within 5 minutes his home is quite steamy. Have I given him too much water?

·
Registered
257 Posts
i would leave leave him for 2 weeks, leave him a week then feed him then leave him another week then feed him then wait 48 hours or he could regurgitate, then handle him for a short period of time

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Is the waterbowl on the warm side of the viv? If so shift the bowl to the cool side. It may be that you just need to add some extra ventilation. Also what sort of bowl is it? If its very large and shallow try going for a deeper, smaller one as this allows less water to evaporate.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, its on the cool side, its quite large and shallow. The air vents are at the back about 1 1/2 inch away from the wall, is this to c lose?

·
Registered
532 Posts
That's great missbehavin! Good luck with him! Oh, and I'm a LOST nerd so I just wanted to mention that if you were calling him Echo as in the LOST guy, then it would be Eko, because his name is "Mr Eko" not Mr Echo, sorry :oops: :p !

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, I stand corrected :wink:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'd leave it as long as you can before handling - I wouldn't handle it apart from when cleaning, etc, it until it has fed on it's own several times.

Re - the humidity/steamy thing - what sort of set up is he in and hows it heated? Are the temps ok?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Well I had no choice to leave mine alone when I got him. He went blue the day after... but generally when I get home I take a picture of them (without flash) and then put them in their homes for a week. Then feed them... and then start handling.. with my royal I waited until he has fed twice though.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's in a small wooden viv, I brought it set up for 2 royal babies from my rep shop. its 2ft by 1 '/2 ft. Was going to put him in the plastic tub I bought on a heat pad, but had to collect them sooner then expected (see above) so falked out for the viv ready set up. It has heat matt undernieth, a lamp above (im going out tomorrow to get a guard) moss and hides + thermometor.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I had a few hatchling royals this year and to be honest i found they were either good feeders or not despite handling.Having said that i think the advice you have been given here is good as a well started royal is a joy to own and the most important thing is get it feeding regularly so if you can try to just feed/clean and resist handling for a couple of weeks it will benifit you in the long run.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They have put a stick on thermometer in the middle and it reads 85.
Is it normal for him to be sat up the tree next to the vent looking stiff?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Tbh the stick on thermometers are useless.. the temperatures are generally wrong with them. I bought myself some digital ones and they have made me realise just how wrong the temperatures were in the vivs.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah was going to get a digi one tomorrow too. Is it best to have one at each end?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
What are you using as substrate? is it mulch/coco fibre/dark wood chips? if so i find when you set up a viv and open a new bag it retains alot of water/moisture and you will get condensation for the first few days /week.You can usually get round this by setting the viv up in advance,but it seems you didn't have that option.If you wipe the inside of the glass regularly this will keep it down or you could use newspaper as substrate instead.As for the climbing this is normal, i find most hatchlings will do exactly this when placed in a viv and ignore the hides on the ground!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Substrate - Moss, I dont know what kind as the guy in shop set it up for me at short notice

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thats where the condensation is coming from then.Either let it clear over the next few days or personaly i would take it out and use newspaper.I tend to keep my royals with less humidity and just bump it up when they are in shed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts