Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry!! I didn't see the newbie section so here goes *clapper board snaps* and, action, take 2..

Hello all, I'm new here and would like a little advice. I'm expecting a deliver of a CF (07) Royal python next week. I've always been fascinated with snakes, pythons inparticular, however, my mum wouldn't let me have one. I now own my own house and have decided to take the plunge. Not a decision I have taken lightely. I have researched them in some detail and am 30Yrs old. I have orderd the snake and a viv and some books on husbandry. The viv I have ordered, to me seems a little too large (24"x15"x15") Is this the case for a baby, 40cm long? If I do need something smaller, how small? and how would I keep all the heating/thermostat devices in such a small space?
Any and all advice much appreciated. I expect the information I need will be in the books, but I'd like to be prepared in advance.

One more thing!! CB and WC I understand, but am I correct in thinking that CF are eggs that have been found in the wild but hatched in captivity, therfore captive?

Thanks again, and I look forward to reading your replies.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
a small plastic tub to house the small royal, heat mat under 1/3-1/2 the tub, thermostat set to temp, and probe in tub.

Easy :)
Go for Cb all the time if possible!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi and welcome. The best thing I think for a baby is to have it in a tub, I did that with my royal and gradually moved him up as he got bigger. To heat the tub is very easy, place a heatmat underneath the tub thats hooked up to a thermostat so you can get the required temperature.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Fingers crossed for you but a hell of a lott of Captive Farmed royals will be a pain in the arse to get feeding. And keep feeding constantly.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
CF = captive farmed where the eggs are taken from the wild and hatched in captivity.

Have your Royal in a tub, with a heatmat underneath 1/3 of it with a thermostat and all the accessories such as lots of hides both in the hot end and the cool end and make sure you use a suitable substrate; NOT cedar or pine!!

Good luck and if you have any questions just ask!!:2thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so far, as I understand it, he/she's a defrost feeder, so "should" be feeding, I'm aware of the difficulties of the feeding habits of this particular species and understand that I may encounter problems, but I will endevour to succeed. So what is CF precisely?

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
The eggs of a Royal Python, either found or in a gravid female, are taken to a farm where they are hatched and then sold on in the pet trade.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My royal is probally CF im about 75% sure and ive never had a single problem so this whole CB/CF thing just depends on the individual :D good luck with your lil baby

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
So long as you have bought it from a reputable source and they have fed the snake before releasing it for sale you should be alright - I have 3 all feeding before I was allowed to buy. The only ones I have had problems with were 2 males that were bought from a disreputable dealer (not a shop) who sold me WC as CF, promised they were wormed and feeding and they were neither. One is now on the road to recovery although being force fed, unfortunately the other died.

Lesson learnt - be careful who you buy from.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I've not read anything about these guys on your forum, but I've bought the little fella from exoticpets.co.uk (cue the replies, Oh no, you shouldn't have bought it from there, their dreadfullllllllllll)!!!!

Please tell me these guys are Ok?

·
Registered
17,937 Posts
ive just found out that my new royal dexter,is captive farmed:cussing: not happy, as he was sold to me a captive bred!.......... had him over a week and gave him a fluff on tuesday,he didnt want to know,left it in but still no luck
maybe he still hasnt settled

but its like other peeps said ,it depends on each individual snake

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I have 3 Royals, 2 of which are CF
I have no more trouble getting them to eat than I do my 1 CB Royal.
In fact my 07 CF male has never missed a feed and my 05 CF female is atm eating better than my 06 CB female.
Royals will go on seasonal fasts but this is normal and you shouldn't worry unless theres weight loss

As others have said use a tub, an 18l really useful box would be good for a Royal that size, heat one half with a heat mat on a thermostat, place the mat under the tub.
Have a hide at each end so the snake does need to choose between temperature and security.
Use newspaper or kitchen roll/paper towels for the first few weeks/months to monitor for mites and to make sure its doing its business properly.
Once you are sure its OK you can use a substrate like Orchid Bark or aspen.
Place the water bowl in the cool end and change the water daily.

Oh and :welcome1:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Ok, I've not read anything about these guys on your forum, but I've bought the little fella from exoticpets.co.uk (cue the replies, Oh no, you shouldn't have bought it from there, their dreadfullllllllllll)!!!!

Please tell me these guys are Ok?
I got my Boa from them last year, she is great, their service was good and I have no complaints.
most people on here dont rate them because they sell alot of WC species that are easily available CB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got my Boa from them last year, she is great, their service was good and I have no complaints.
most people on here dont rate them because they sell alot of WC species that are easily available CB
Well, like I said I'm assured that its CF, I understand not to buy WC, I'm assured that its a defrost feeder, thanks for all the replies on habitat, so a small plastic enclosure is in order. What size? 12"x10"x10"ish. Is that suitable or something in that order, give or take an inch or two either way? I understand they like rather confined spaces!!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
well hers my royals setup hes bout 6 months old i think judging by lengh

its just a faunarium with a heat mat under 1/3rd well lil bit over 1.3rd and is on a mat stat the tank is bout 17 in long and bout 8 in tall by bout a ft deep and my royal seems happy in there but this is bout the size you need really as to big a viv weill stress them out and as yours is cf dats da last thing ya want lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well hers my royals setup hes bout 6 months old i think judging by lengh

its just a faunarium with a heat mat under 1/3rd well lil bit over 1.3rd and is on a mat stat the tank is bout 17 in long and bout 8 in tall by bout a ft deep and my royal seems happy in there but this is bout the size you need really as to big a viv weill stress them out and as yours is cf dats da last thing ya want lol
Nice set up, you should really have a lid on that though;), I'm sure you do mind!! Thanks for the "size" advice. Cheers.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
yeah it does have lid lol just took it off for the pic

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have my 07 female in a 9l Really Useful Box - not sure about the exact measurements, but its designed to take A4 pieces of paper, so Im sure you can work it out ;) It seems a good size for her; I recently had her in a hatchling tub, which she was housed in when I bought her, and when I realised that she was almost the same length as the perimeter of the box I decided it was probably time to upgrade... ;) She is growing like a weed and hasnt even hesitated to eat anything offered to her :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts