Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im need of saving my backround befor i bin it, ive started on a backround on a home made viv for my two crestis, the problem i have is getting the eco dirt it stick to my backround which ive done out of spray foam i know people use sillcone and ive tryed it on one part but ive burned thourgh 2 tubes of the stuff and only covered 1/3 of it so i need another way of sticking to the foam... if any one has a better solutions im open to haer them :notworthy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i no other people have uesd it but its not cheep for the amount i need to cover, do you know how much one bottle would cover, cos my backround is 4ft tall 2ft wide

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Ask in the phib section, they use GG all the time. What sort of silicone are you using and is the Ecco earth bone dry?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah the eco is dry it more the fact the amount of sillconehave to use i work out ill need about 10 to 12 tubes of the suff and its a big pain to spread it, so it looks like gorila glue it is :lol2:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
A single tube should do a 4x2 if you're not too liberal with it. The cheaper way of buying it is by getting a litre from amazon for £20 though.

Dave

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not sure this will help at all but I have used this technique a few times in the past. If you get a bag of peat and mix 5 parts peat, one part sand, one part matt varnish, one part PVA glue then adjust the proportions to get the consistency you need you can spread this on your background (best to put the background onto its back so you are working on a horizontal surface) quite thickly and, when it sets, it will be waterproof and hard. Again you need to experiment with this before you take the plunge. There are loads of different ways to mix this. Some people add soil, coconut fibre etc etc. We once incorporated our mix into fibreglass resin with acceptable results. You want your mixture to be very well incorporated and quite dry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A single tube should do a 4x2 if you're not too liberal with it. The cheaper way of buying it is by getting a litre from amazon for £20 though.

Dave
ok thanks, would you just brush it on then cover it with dirt and wait for it to set or would you mix the too togeather then past it on

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure this will help at all but I have used this technique a few times in the past. If you get a bag of peat and mix 5 parts peat, one part sand, one part matt varnish, one part PVA glue then adjust the proportions to get the consistency you need you can spread this on your background (best to put the background onto its back so you are working on a horizontal surface) quite thickly and, when it sets, it will be waterproof and hard. Again you need to experiment with this before you take the plunge. There are loads of different ways to mix this. Some people add soil, coconut fibre etc etc. We once incorporated our mix into fibreglass resin with acceptable results. You want your mixture to be very well incorporated and quite dry.
this sounds like a good idea but yeah i think a bit of experiment needed to get it right, my be ill give it a go on my next project, but thanks for the tip

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have just done a 3 ft by 1.5 ft, plus the sides. used about 500ml of gorilla glue.

But could have got away with less. first time so made few mistakes. Spray background with water then drizzle glue on, then spray again. Allow to foam for a bit, then add your eco earth. Can be damp as wel las this wont affect it.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
ok thanks, would you just brush it on then cover it with dirt and wait for it to set or would you mix the too togeather then past it on
I tend to pour it over the back, with the back of the viv lying flat on the floor, then spray it lightly with water, then press damp sustrate into it. Keep pressing it in as it expands for half an hour or so.

Here's one i'm in the middle of,

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/habitat/914379-no-rest-wicked.html

and a couple that are done with sand and other substrates, to give you an idea of different methods

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/habitat/909836-gorilla-glue-experiment.html

Hope this helps

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts