Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two turtles coming up for a year old one is the size of my palm, one is just smaller. I believe one is a YBS and one a river cooter. The tank is too small and gets dirty every few days, and its not fair on them (or ma boyf cleaning it every 3days or so)

What size tank would you advise i get now?

Also my filter is a INTERPET PF3 i think.

Please dont give me grief, i know i have had alot of bad advice. Can someone give me good advice on a tank size and if my filter is rubbish advice on that too please

Thank you

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hey, I have just replied on your other post.
At that size they are well over a year.
If you post a pic we can id the species, give a vague age and sex them - so you know whether they will grow more.
I reckon you need a minimum 4x2x2 tank and a good strong external filter. I'd recommend Elite or Fluval. Always get a filter that is higher rated than the tank you are using. Turtles are messy buggers.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
They could easily be palm-sized at one year, that's probably only 3" SCL or so.

You should be looking for a tank of at least 300-350 litres, preferably bigger or you'll just find yourself upgrading again in another year or so.

I think you probably already know that the filter is rubbish! For a tank of that size I would recommend the ubiquitous Eheim Classic 2217 external filter, the best performing and best value filter for turts in it's size and price range.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They could easily be palm-sized at one year, that's probably only 3" SCL or so.

You should be looking for a tank of at least 300-350 litres, preferably bigger or you'll just find yourself upgrading again in another year or so.

I think you probably already know that the filter is rubbish! For a tank of that size I would recommend the ubiquitous Eheim Classic 2217 external filter, the best performing and best value filter for turts in it's size and price range.
Thanks i am just looking at the filter now, will have to by the filter this month n the tank next month i think.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
why not join freecycle.org, everything is free and you can place wanted adds for free things, they have lots of tanks come up at least around here and often pond equipement, you can save a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Cheapest place for the filter is still www.zooplus.co.uk I think, note you get a discount if it's your first order. All of my tanks bar one have come from Freecycle, including a couple of nice big ones!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts