Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My adult male high yellow has just finished a shed.Hes got a moist hide in his viv at all times which i mist daily and iv seen him use it too.The problem is that he keeps leaving what i call "little skin boots" on his feet where the skin hasnt shed right.I've done the usual stuff with putting him in a small amount of warm water and trying to ease it off with some cotton wool and a cotton bud but it always seems to stick.I do manage to get some off by gently pulling some off but i dont want to hurt him so i dont pull if it doesnt come off easily strait away.I know they can lose their toes if they dont shed right so i was wondering if theres anything more that i can do?He is extreamly tame and will let you do anything with him so luckly he doesnt mind me trying to help him.can anyone advice me futher,thanks :roll:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
dont really know sorry.
maybe its that his shed box isnt warm enough at ground level, or where he stands ie on the actual viv floor hasnt got moss around it [ie his feet] so maybe if u put a bigger wadd in so his feet didnt go through and touch the floor but instead were nested in the moss.?

thats all i can think of really.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
where have you got moist hide situated? it needs to be at the hot end of viv to cause the humidity... :?: you can buy shed ease, never used it so not really sure on its merits but mabey when he goes that grey dull colour so you knows he's due a shed try giving him a few warm baths init as hes obviously a bad shedder that way you can try to get enough moisture before shed instead of trying to correct after.... :D

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
his moss box is half and half on the heat mat and the cool end.i have moved it onto the warm side now so hopefully when he next sheds it will be a little easyer on him.the shed ease stuff sounds good.i havnt herd of that before so ill give it a go see if it helps.Hes been alright up until recently and never had a problem.when i did manage to get some of the skin off his toes it looked as if he was going to lose it and he had been climbing in his viv.he must of caught his little back toe on something as it looked as if he had grazed it a little.it didnt help him shedding the day after neither but i managed to get the skin off an i put him some vet iodine on it and its clear up great.ill let you know how it gos with the shed ease :thumb:

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've only used shed ease with snakes but it worked ok with them, id tape some damp cotton wool over his toes for a few hours but keep an eye on him!! how many layers of skin has he got on his toes, or is this the 1st time he's not shed properly? the reason i ask is because if there are lots of layers his toes will be constricted and there is a chance they will drop off :shock: just be very gentle :D

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he had only 2 layers and i managed to get both off and his toes have stayed on!!! :2thumb: they have cleared up nicley and the redness that was there before has gone.i used a bit of iodine on his toes as like i said before he had a little cut from climbing in his viv but its gone and he looks gorge again.The moist hide is on the warm side now but wont know if it helps till he next shed which should be about a month or so as hes a adult.He is a little off his food and wont touch anything for the time being but think thats down to the winter slow down.he ate 3 waxies so he aint ill and hes weighing 53g so hes a good weight.hes only lost a gram in a week so ill keep an eye on it.My female did exactly the same but shes always eating everynight now.we have also put the radiator on in the bedroom a little more and i found that speeded their eating up a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts