Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female laid eggs 18 days ago and is still very thin.

She is eating and very active.

I haver been feeding large blacks, meal worms and started feeding some wax worms due to the higher fat content and still feed her greens too.
Can you guys offer me some advice on feeding.... ammounts , feeding ammounts per day etc.

Cheersd

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
pinkies. lots of people feed their beardies pinkies but this is EXACTLY what it's for :)

Pinkies are ideal for post lay weight and condtion gain.

Some will take defrost, some will take defrost if its heavily dusted and some want live.

I don't know how thin she it exactly so I woudlnt' like to advise on amounts.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is not anaeorexic lol but a tad on the thin side and tbh i dont wanna really feed pinkies?
I have no experience in giving pinkies at all.

Would meal/wax worms be adequate twice daily?

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
mealworms arent very fatty, waxworms are but if you feed too many she will become addicted to wax worms and wont want to go back to crickets, ide suggest a pinky.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mealworms arent very fatty, waxworms are but if you feed too many she will become addicted to wax worms and wont want to go back to crickets, ide suggest a pinky.
So small pinkie then?

She is 18 months old

How often should i feed her a pinkie? also what else to feed along side this?

Better live or defrosted?

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
ide say just one every 2 - 3 weeks until shes a good weight then stop feeding her them, ide try defrosted first.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
i really dont know, someone else might, but ide thinbk to still feed her, make sure you leave veg out, just feed her about 5 crickets every other day or she might overfeed

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Lots of waxworms isn't much different to a pinkie in terms of fat content...

I'd be more concerned about getting her protein levels back up (crickets / roaches / locusts) than trying to get her fat levels high. Egg production depletes carbohydrate reserves, as well as requiring a lot of protein and a bit of fat; to help her recover, she needs energy in the form of carbohydrates, protein and a little bit of fat. Pumping her full of fat may help her gain weight, but it won't necessarily be "good" weight, or the types of nutrients that she needs.

Beetle larvae (morios / mealworms) contain a bit more fat than crickets etc, but less than a waxworm or a pinkie. I personally let females pig out on livefood and veg that are supplemented as usual (they eat the same as they normally would, but more of it) rather than trying to dramatically change their diet and metabolism.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i really dont know, someone else might, but ide thinbk to still feed her, make sure you leave veg out, just feed her about 5 crickets every other day or she might overfeed
Locusts are a better choice for beardies over crickets, your beardie should be getting through about 4-6 tubs a week depending on the amount given in a tub from your local supplier.

When it comes to pinkies they're easy to deal with, and its a fairly basic skill to learn if youre a reptile keeper, just defrost it. Some beardies will take from tongs with a bit of movement or some will just eat it from the floor, others may need a bit of help, ie. assisted feeding.

Also, the pinkies should always be defrost, never live, as feeding them live is against the law in this country, and not necessarily any better.

Continue to offer vegetation, at this time of year there is a lot available growing wild, such as milky weeds, false nettles, plantains and clovers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
pinkies. be sure to dust everything you feed her with calcium.. except for the pinkies. well i guess you can dust them too.. idk

she just lost a lot of calcium with the egg laying and all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts