Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Brown Anoles is having some issues with his eyes. It has been going on for about two weeks now, not getting worse but also not improving.

He is one of five in his terrarium, recently switched to live plants with the intention of going bio-active.
No possibility of cross-contamination with any other reptiles (who are all healthy).

His mother came to me gravid and he is one of seven to survive. He is now 10 months old, eating 3/8" crickets, mealworms, waxworms, and the occasional butter or horn worm (when small enough).
The temperatures are good, humidity fine, no problems with shedding.

He is keeping his left eye closed and his right eye is usually only partially open, when it is fully open it is very round, cloudy, and a lighter yellow around the iris than is normal for him, or my other anoles.
I had been rinsing it daily with Flukers reptile eye rinse, but have left it alone for the last few days to see if that would help.
He isn't very active at the moment, but he does move around to follow the heat (day/night/uv lamps), I assume he doesn't move much because it is hard for him to see where he is going.

I'd happily take him to a vet, but none of the ones within a four hour drive would have any idea what to do with him, if they even knew what he is, and the same applies to the "exotic vets" four plus hours away.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Does the eye have a crust over it? What do the jaws look like?

In anole species it is almost always a vit A deficiency.

This group has a high A requirement due to the wild diet which is rarely catered for in captivity.

I would have a read about the carotenoid A cycle and treat accordingly.

However, when the crust appears and the jaw twists the animal rarely survives.

Always best to see a vet

Good luck!

John

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
It really depends what the problem is . If it's a mere infection you can probably ( I say probably because I think that you are in the States ) buy some 1% Chlorenfenecol ointment from the pharmacy. It's sold for people so you will probably have to say that you have an infected eye. Put this on the eye a couple of times per day and it should clear up quickly. Make sure that you buy the ointment not the drops as it's easier to *****ister.

Try that, if it's something more serious as John explained you may have to try to find a vet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No crust, and his jaw is fine. His body is in excellent condition. I do supplement their food with calcium powder and a multivitamin on occasion and with Reptiboost when they were younger.

I do have some pictures but I can't find that attachment button that was mentioned in the faqs.

I am living in Canada, so I'm not sure about that product but does an infection fit as none of the others are having any issues at all?

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts