Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
Does anyone own or previously owned a Bairds Rat Snake ?
If so can you provide any info on what they are like to keep.
I have read that they a pretty much the same as a corn as far as care goes ?
just a few questions for now:

Do CB Bairds tend to musk much early on ( or at all ) ?

I have read that they are good to handle but can anyone clarify this ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump !

Didn't think they were that unusual. Coast To Coast exotics have some hatchling Bairds in at the moment so i'll give them a call and get some info from them.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Hiya,

This is Pepe, he's a good 7' and soft as anything :)

Their care is literally prettymuch the same as corns and all other North American ratsnakes. They're a great size, beautiful colours and good temperament in my experience too :)

I've never been musked by a Bairds, baby or adult :wink:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the wicked pic and info.

They are supurb looking snakes IMO.

Have only read about the musking on one American website, no mention anywhere else but to be honest there is hardly any info available on the web about Bairds.

As long as the care is similar to that of a corn then im not that concerned. Im really considering a Bairds as my first snake. Most people will suggest a corn but if the care is similar then I might go for the Bairds as its something a bit different.

What size viv do you keep him in ?

Oh and what was he like to handle as a hatchling ?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
I'd say go for it :D They make equally good first snakes in my opinion and although he isnt actually mine, but belongs to a very close friend of mine, he has always been soft as anything from the off ;)

He's in a 48"x18"x24" vivarium and comes out for lots of cuddles too 8)

Just another pic, this time of him visiting us at work and getting worn as a necklace by one of the lads :lol:

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
we have three barid rat snakes we didnt get the as hatchlings we got them about year ago the male is a bit flighty but once out the viv he settles down, one of the females you cant handle at all, but i think she hasnt been handled before we got her but we'll get there, them to will musk when handled but it has got less there were real bad when we first got them the last femal is lovely and you can handle her without any problems.

there beautifull snakes i think there gorgeous i really like my male he's a lovely yellow colour

CLare
my male

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've never seen a bairds that colour!
Looks like a cross - yellow x bairds, maybe? (the male I mean - female looks pure bairds)

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
nope male is a pure baird the person who we brought it from, a friend who owns a reptile shop bought them in for his own breeding but his missus was having a baby so we got them, he got them from the breeder and saw parents :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
He's certainly a strange one - seems to have none of the silvery grey sheen on him at all. (Unless it's just the colour of the pics but don't think so.)
Have you ever bred from him?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
agree with lotte.....looks yellow ratsnake to me....really nice example too
it shows the orangey yellow colour of a quadrivittata and striping

this is a yellow i had and he was identical to yours when younger :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So there is a possibility that they will musk especially when young or if not handled much ?

Excuse the dumb newbie question but how bad is musking ? I haven't experienced it before ? should I let this put me off ?

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
No lol :lol:

Musking isnt the end of the world, in general with musking the snake is simply wiping secretions from cloacal glands all over you. In my experience it's only really kingsnakes that like to go the whole hog and empty their bowels too :shock: lol

It's a nasty smell, but it wont kill you, you just put the animal back and go wash your hands, easy as :) Most people are more concerned with it biting them! Look at it this way, a ratsnake is no more likely to bite you than the average dog and it'd hurt a whole lot less!!! Musking really is nothing to be worried about and it certainly shouldnt be enough of an issue to swap your choice :wink:

Why dont you ask the guy in Coast to Coast if he could help you handle one of them and see for yourself ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might just do that. Then hopefully it will spray $hite all over his hands first :wink:

Thanks for all your help. Definately still considering a Rat as a different alternative to a corn.

The Yellow Rat in the picture looks pretty good too me thinks.

Regards,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts