Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone im new to snake keeping and have a ball python iv had her about a year she was 140grams when i got her now she 758grams and she has never missed a feed but now she has gone 8 weeks without feeding i have offered her a rat every 10 days, nothing in her viv has changed humidity is at 60-70% temp is set at 85 (i have a thermostat), she has just shed yesterday (full shed in one piece) so thought that maybe as she has shed she may eat but she didnt she sniffed around it but then just ignored it not sure what i should do none of my other snakes have refused there feeds any ideas on what i could do, (ps i know ball pythons are picky eaters and can go 7-8 months with out feeding but it does worry me that somethings not right with her.)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
hey everyone im new to snake keeping and have a ball python iv had her about a year she was 140grams when i got her now she 758grams and she has never missed a feed but now she has gone 8 weeks without feeding i have offered her a rat every 10 days, nothing in her viv has changed humidity is at 60-70% temp is set at 85 (i have a thermostat), she has just shed yesterday (full shed in one piece) so thought that maybe as she has shed she may eat but she didnt she sniffed around it but then just ignored it not sure what i should do none of my other snakes have refused there feeds any ideas on what i could do, (ps i know ball pythons are picky eaters and can go 7-8 months with out feeding but it does worry me that somethings not right with her.)

pop your temp upto 92, that seems cold for a hot end.... unless you meant cold?? but the warm might kick start her... also it could be a small fast, the best thing to do is be patient

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
you want to be looking at 30-32 celcious... which is around 90-92.

the cold would possibly make her fast, with the longer night, now the days are getting brighter, turn up the temps.... also a tip ive used is bathe them in water and poweraid... apparently helps kick start the metaolism.... i tried it on mine after a fast and it got two of 3 eating.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
She's hit the wall, this when female Royals stop eating (looking at my own records mine hit it at approx 700g+). Just weigh her once a month & keep a record of her weight, she'll start feeding when she's good & ready, which could be in a month it could be a couple of months or more :whistling2:.

·
Registered
812 Posts
could also be down to breeding season, i have quite a few ignoring there food :)

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
She's hit the wall, this when female Royals stop eating (looking at my own records mine hit it at approx 700g+). Just weigh her once a month & keep a record of her weight, she'll start feeding when she's good & ready, which could be in a month it could be a couple of months or more :whistling2:.
Mine are 1.5, 1.2, and 1.1 kg and only the 1.5kg girl has missed feeds for a month last November but is back on her grub fine. Maybe they are just greedy(or males:gasp:) Mind you i only feed a small rat a week,I like to feed my adults smaller meals weekly rather than a big meal a fortnight. Do all of yours do that Mel, or just some?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about it, our royal (Fluffy) went without food for 14 months! Was very puzzled and worried, and although we cleaned his viv out every month we had never given it a good scrub (and to be honest didn't think that it needed it). However after we gave his viv a proper clean out he started eating - i felt so guilty, but now we clean it out properly every month. He's probably only missed two feeds in the last six months and that was down to him about to shed. Hope this message might help you.

·
Registered
865 Posts
after thinking id got my girl eating regular since changing from mice to rats she has gone and refused the last 2 feeds, i know everything in the viv is the same as it was before when she was strike feeding hard n fast so im not to worried, thinking on it this is about the same time as she started to refuse last year. Your temps do sound a little low, but then again every snake is different, if her feeding response was good before the fast it may just be down to the season. Only other thing that i can think that could be effecting her is if you use a heatmat and the house temps have dropped down in the time she has refused to feed, i may be tottally wrong on this but i never found the heatmats to increase ambient temperature.

edit... When royals refuse to eat its a good idea to check there body weight, if mine misses 2 feeds in a row ill get a baseline figure incase she goes on a long fast, as long as she doesnt loose weight its more than likely just a royal going on one of there notorious fasts.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Welcome to the fun, pain in the arse world of ball pythons :2thumb:

I wouldn't worry. The key is, patience - don't be tempted to offer food every day - if she doesn't take it, then wait a week; she'll eat when she's ready. Chasing her round the tub with a dead mouse isn't going to do anything other than stress her out and make her less likely to feed ;)

Personally, half my girls have stopped eating over the past 3 months which I just put down to being a fast through the cold weather. They also mostly had a short 'speed bump' on the feeding when they hit around 800 grams, which also seems to be quite common.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Mine are 1.5, 1.2, and 1.1 kg and only the 1.5kg girl has missed feeds for a month last November but is back on her grub fine. Maybe they are just greedy(or males:gasp:) Mind you i only feed a small rat a week,I like to feed my adults smaller meals weekly rather than a big meal a fortnight. Do all of yours do that Mel, or just some?

I do the same Rich, feed smaller items but feed weekly. My Cinny female has been off her food since September (she has taken the odd item but not really feeding as i'd like). I've tried her on rats, mice & multi's, she might take one week then not feed again for weeks :devil:.

·
Registered
353 Posts
May sound silly but I know a few people who've had this problem, and they've taken theirs out for a drive, to a friends
House for example and fed them there and they've Happily took it! I believe I read that somebody on this forum also done it! Have you always kept your viv the same? Snakes like change, I change the scenery and move everything around in my viv every 3-4 weeks so he can explore around more and isn't bored! Other than that I can only think of the temp or breeding season!

Try a few things out! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts