Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys I am planning on getting a ball python soon and was wandering the best way to house a baby is?

I was also wandering the best way to heat the house would be because at night my house gets quite cold (around 18C) and I have been told that’s too cold for a royal so I was wandering will I have to alter his heating on the thermostat at night and in the morning or should I get another thermostat with a ceramic bulb for night time temps??

I have read care sheets but I wanted to get the opinion of the people on here.

Cheers Julz :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Mine are kept in RUB's, subsequently the room needs to be at a nice warm ambient. I aim to keep my room high 70's at least. It drops a bit at night, but still mid 70's. Heat mat is 92/93 f 24/7. You will need to either heat your room, or heat the enclosure with a GUARDED and STATTED bulb or ceramic.

Young Royals do best in a small enclosure, but if you are putting it straight into a viv, then make sure there are lots of hiding places. They love being in a nice tight hide. Some aren't bothered by space and will feed readily - some are bothered and will take a bit longer to come round if faced with a big viv.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dont regret getting my royals at all, they are my baby boys and love them to bits so freindly and calm love to be out the viv, however they can have feeding problems were they will not eat one of mine has not eaten for 5 mounths but the other allways eats other than this i highly recommand them :)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I dont regret getting my royals at all, they are my baby boys and love them to bits so freindly and calm love to be out the viv, however they can have feeding problems were they will not eat one of mine has not eaten for 5 mounths but the other allways eats other than this i highly recommand them :)
Not usually feeding problems, I would say it's more a case of fasting. If you expect this before you buy one and understand them, then when/if it does actually come to a fasting period you will know what's happening and it won't be a problem. They're fantastic snakes, usually very placid. If the husbandry and conditions are correct, they do usually feed fine. A fasting period usually does them no harm.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi there i got my first snake about a year ago a royal and they are beautifull snakes nice and calm only hissed at me when she was younger but now i can wake her up and pick her up when hes cold/hungry and shes fine but shes gone off feed for about a month now and ive wasted mice trying to get her to eat thats the only downside to her but im hopefully getting a nice exo terra viv for her so hopefully that does the trick as i can make it perfect for her anyone know if they should go off feed so young ?? and 1year 2-4months is young right? thanks

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It is still young yes. They can go off food at anytime. If she's got some decent weight she'll be fine for a good few months. As long as husbandry and temperatures are correct, I would say things should resume as normal soon enough. I certainly wouldn't worry after a month.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
thanks yes she still got a nice chunky body ive heard of certain mice to get african soft fur i think is it worth trying to find then feed these ??
These are Multi mammates (Multi's). She may take these, yes - but then she may also refuse to take mice or rats after she gets the taste for them. They are harder to find, so I'd stick with the usual food until she decides she's hungry again if I were you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so would she be all right in a 2 foot viv with a ceramic heater set to run at 23C all the time and under one third put a heat mat running at 27C just in the day time would that all work. I would use a RUB but i think it would be hard to heat one with a ceramic.

Cheers Julz

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Okay so would she be all right in a 2 foot viv with a ceramic heater set to run at 23C all the time and under one third put a heat mat running at 27C just in the day time would that all work. I would use a RUB but i think it would be hard to heat one with a ceramic.

Cheers Julz
2 ft viv should be ok, if not section a part off it to make it smaller. Or put a RUB inside the viv, a small one, just watch it doesn't overheat. Have it up and running to test the temperatures before you put the snake in it for about a week if possible. I'd go with about 25 ambient temperature, and 33/34 hotspot for a youngster, 24/7, not just the daytime. 27 is too cold for the heatmat.

That's what I'd do anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So would i keep the ceramic (25C) and the heat mat (33C) on 24/7 then even through the night ??

Cheers Julz

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
So would i keep the ceramic (25C) and the heat mat (33C) on 24/7 then even through the night ??

Cheers Julz
I must be honest, I've never used a ceramic heater as I keep mine in RUB's and the room's warm so I've never needed background enclosure heating. I suppose it depends how cold your room actually goes at night. Maybe put it on a timer to go off for 6 or 7 hours at night? A slight drop in temperature at night is acceptable, but keep the heatmat on 24/7 yes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts