Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching getting a snake (i met my friend's the other day and it was awesome) and on my friends suggestion I looked up Corn snakes and Ball pythons. Both are apparently good for noobs but some of the care sheets don't seem to agree for balls. Do they need a basking lamp? what is the ideal viv size and which is the better snake for noobs, I think I want the ball python but is this a good idea?

cheers

p.s. the only experience i have with any reptiles is looking after my flatmate's leo while he's away

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
IMHO

A newbie can look after a ball python no problem although many will say they are unsuitable due to feeding issues.

If you are prepared for some feeding issues there is no problem with getting a ball python.

As longs as you have the right temperatures it doesn't really matter how you get them as long as you use gaurds on your heat sources where appropriate : victory:

·
Registered
910 Posts
what bobby said. i started off with corns then got the python,both fairly easy to keep but my pythons feeding issues are heartbreaking sometimes

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are prepared for some feeding issues there is no problem with getting a ball python.
cheers :2thumb:

not really bothered about feeding issues, some of the care sheets said that they could fast for up to a year for no apparent reason and to just keep trying to feed them once a week and there should be no problem as long as they're not loosing weight. are there any other issues i should be aware of, and do balls actually need a basking lamp because some of the sites say they do and some don't, v. important because i have electricity conscious flatmates. they won't mind a heating mat running but they would object to a mat + lamp

·
Banned
3,240 Posts
cheers :2thumb:

not really bothered about feeding issues, some of the care sheets said that they could fast for up to a year for no apparent reason and to just keep trying to feed them once a week and there should be no problem as long as they're not loosing weight. are there any other issues i should be aware of, and do balls actually need a basking lamp because some of the sites say they do and some don't, v. important because i have electricity conscious flatmates. they won't mind a heating mat running but they would object to a mat + lamp
Just a mat (with stat) is fine alone :2thumb:
My royal has stopped eating at the mo, bloody things:whip:

·
Banned
3,240 Posts
And personally I'd go for a royal, they're much betterer than worms with a crayola fetish :lol2:
But I have 2 and love em :lol2:

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
If you go for a wooden vivarium as everyone will recommend, you wont need a bulb going but if you use an aquarium you will probably need another heat source (such as a bulb or ceramic heater).

Go for a wooden vivarium : victory:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they're much betterer than worms with a crayola fetish
ROFL

as for the viv, i was going to go for a RUB at first and them build a wooden viv later

·
Super Moderator
9,600 Posts
Allthough I have lots of lizard experienced I knew little about snakes but chose a royal as my first snake. I was unsure about the feeding issues but was assured that most CB animals should be fine. I fell in love with my royal straight away and have had no issues as yet with feeding allthough I've only had her 9 months and she's still young but I feel confident now to cope with any feeding issue in the future. I loved her so much I went and bought and albino royal recently lol.

For rubs I have used a heat mat with no problems and for vivs a ceramic. As they are nocturnal by nature I prefer non light emitting heat sources.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really helpful, cheers guys, I'm going to go and see the guy that my flatmate got his Leo off, see what he can do for me :2thumb:

Really exited now!

I'll upload pics when I get my new royal!

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
I started out with 2 Corns, 2 months later i bought my first Royal & i haven't looked back (by this time next week i'll have 4 Royals). The only one i really have trouble with feeding is my Spider female, sometimes she'll take & like last night she just didn't want to know :bash:. My little Super Pastel is the best feeder i have, he fed after only 2 days of having him & has eaten every feed since :2thumb:. So long as you research b4 you buy then i see no problems with getting a Royal or a Corn. Also perhaps buy from a Breeder, they will give you so much more "after sales" advice & help. Good luck & don't forget that pics are compulsory :2thumb:.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Go for a corn, you should not be heart broken with the eating issues that the Pythons may have. Visit a shop or a friend that has both and check them out for your-self.

I love the corns, people call them worms :? etc, but they are the easiest snake to look after and a great entrant into the snake world.

·
Registered
884 Posts
noobs

noobs get a common boa.

tame easy,eat good,and look amazing.

but will get 9ft ish.

boa my first lol,then i got a corn,then ball.

boas best one by far.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
What is with everyone and the "royals dont feed" thing? If you have a royal thats not feeding then you are doing something wrong. We've nearly 200 royals and apart from 3 live feeders they all feed weekly on defrost rats no problem.
4-6ft, dont feel as fragile as a corn, not nearly as fast as a corn, placid and friendly animals. What's not to love ;)

Plus, this is just so darn cute!;

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
i would say corn or royal. i got a 18month royal 1st then within a week of having her i wanted more, so i went a got 2 corns aswell (pics of all in my profile)

So its up 2 u. so if u want.........

Slow, chilled & don't relly do 2 much but "MIGHT" play up at feeding time = Royal
(I use a heat mat and a Redheat bulb in a wooden Viv and temps r all gd)

But if u want......

Fast, funny, normally Gd eaters = Corns
(heat mat and strip bulb In Wooden Viv. Dont realy need Strip light but i wanna see them so i do)

Gd luck and which ever u go 4, WE WANT PICS!!! lol :2thumb:

·
Registered
226 Posts
i would go for a corn i've had mine for like 1 and a half months there soooo easy to look after. I've heard lots of stories about bad eaters who are ball pythons. although corn snakes are said to be more docile corn snake hatchlings are very small and it can be quite scary holding a tiny snake because you get afriad of it running down cracks. Where as pythons are bigger and you hav more to hold. But i'd probably suggest getting to a corn:2thumb:

·
Super Moderator
9,600 Posts
i'd go for a corn, much better than those fat lazy overgrown non eating slugs they call royals
:gasp: Some of us love those fat lazy overgrown slugs :lol2: . To be honest the royal was my first choice rather than a corn for the very reason that they aren't as fast moving. I suffer from arthritis and can't really do with anything too fast lol.

My little Super Pastel is the best feeder i have, he fed after only 2 days of having him & has eaten every feed since
Same with my first one and the little albino ate the next day after getting him lol. They both love their food so much I can't imagine them ever not feeding.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts