Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have 4 O.P coxi eggs in the oven from my only pairing of this species this year.

£10 deposit secures a hatchling. Obviously fully refunded if there are any problems with the hatchlings that mean I cannot complete the sale.

Due to hatch in mid May - will be ready to go after they have had a 2 consecutive successful feeds on FT pinks.

Amazing snakes that should grace every serious collection!

Cut from rat snake foundation:-

Common Name: Thai Red mountain Ratsnake/Racer
Widely accepted Scientific Name: Oreocryptophis porphyraceus coxi (Schulz & Helfenberger, 1998)
Previous Scientific Name: Elaphe porphyracea coxi

Etymology
Oreocryptophis
Greek: oreo meaning Mountain
Greek: kryptos meaning hidden or secretive
Greek: ophis meaning Snake

porphyraceus
Greek: porphyra means Purple, Red
acea: suffix denoting orders and classes in zoology, belonging to, of the nature of
coxi: Named after Merel J. Cox, herpetologist and author including: Snakes of Thailand and Their Husbandry

Ventral Scale Count: 213
Sub-Caudal: 62
Dorsal: 19

Introduction

The front cover of "A Monograph of the Colubrid Snakes of the Genus Elaphe Fitzinger by Klaus-Dieter Schultz (commonly referred to as 'The Ratsnake Bible') has a beautiful specimen depicted on the front cover and was responsible for creating a huge "buzz" within the hobby at the time of it's release. It was THE snake that every Ratsnake enthusiast at that time dreamt of having in their collection. Nearly 15 years later and the Thai Red Mountain Ratsnake is still a very sought after species, which is becoming more readily available and affordable.

There are several subspecies of the Red mountain Ratsnake as listed below, O. p. coxi is unique amongst these, as it is the only one that is born striped, and does not undergo an ontenogenic pattern/colour change. although as they mature they will loose a little of the juvenile brighness.

Four of the porphyraceus subspecies are being bred in captivity with some regularity at present these being, coxi, latincincta, pulchra and vaillanti . The nominate species O.p.p has been bred on a few occasions.

Brief Taxonomic History

Thai Red Mountain Ratsnakes belong to the family Colubridae, which resides in the subfamily Colubrinae, they further belong to the genus Oreocryptophis , species porphyraceus and subspecies (trinominal name) coxi . The species porphyraceus has eight subspecies of which seven are recognized, the subspecies nigrofasciata has been denoted as synomoumous with O. p. vaillanti

First described in 1998 by Schulz & Helfenberger, this species has formerly been known by two other names; Elaphe porphyracea coxi and Oreophis porphyraceus coxi.

In 2002 Utiger, Schätti, Helfenberger and colleagues demonstrated that along with some other Asiatic ‘Elaphe’ species that the Thai Red Mountain Ratsnakes were not closely related to other species in the former encompass all Elaphe genus, and moved all of the subspecies into their own genus. The generic name of “Oreophis ” was proposed but this was in error as this is preoccupied by Oreophis boulengeri DUGÈS 1897, a synonym of Lampropeltis mexicana .

Such name changes are common, as studies into Ratsnake systematics shed more light on the understanding of the relationship (phylogeny) between them and subsequently their evolution from a single common ancestor (monophyletic relationship or paraphyletic relationship if not all of the descendants are represented in a particular lineage).

The proposal above is readily accepted by those who wish to differentiate between Asiatic ‘Racer-like Ratsnakes’ and their more Elaphe -like Ratsnake cousins e.g. E. schrencki, (Russian Ratsnake) E. dione, (Dione Ratsnake) E. climacophora (Japanese ratsnake).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get them for £30 at Hamm and they're free if you happen to stumble across one whilst walking through a Thai mountain range.

However, mine are £125. For your extra £25 you get so see and inspect the parents, on-call help from me if you want it and I'll throw in a plastic tub too.

With that said, I'm happy to consider offers if there is genuinely an abundance of quality coxi knocking about in shops for £100.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheapest I've seen them is 50e that's probably more the £30 come to think of it. They vary in price in Europe.... average for the ones I've seen is probably about 70e.

Hamm is a long way away people.... Just buy mine :2thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts