Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finaly finished my Bio Active Viv for the porphyraceus coxi (Bamboo Rat Snake)
Its been a long process with months on inactivity, but finaly gor the plants in and some woodlice, springtails and worms in there.
Some photos before I fitted the glass which is now in. Gonna run it for a few weeks to see how the plants go be fore i let the coxi in.
Nothing to Unusual in the plants but i am well pleased with my first planted Viv:2thumb:.
Comments welcomed! and thanks to Ron and Jay for the advice all them months ago!

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi, looks ace :2thumb: One question, have you lined the viv with a waterproof barrier or just sealed it?

Dave

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
thats looking good mate, and looks very hard wearing too so should be great for a snake to go clashing around in there, even with the odd plant casualty.

jay

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, looks ace :2thumb: One question, have you lined the viv with a waterproof barrier or just sealed it?

Dave
Thanks, Its sealed with varnish then silicone, then pond liner all over, then on the back and sides is a polystyreen and expanding foam, covered again in silicon and then the cocao fiber. I was warned that all wooden ones will eventualy rot so i went a bit overboard to attempt to prolong the life.
The base area inside is triple layered pond liner too:blush:.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats looking good mate, and looks very hard wearing too so should be great for a snake to go clashing around in there, even with the odd plant casualty.

jay
Thanks Jay,
the bamboo is a wee snake too so not to heavy, but i have taken cuttingd or devisions from all the plants to replace as and when.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
WOW looks awesome!! might have a go at that one day, are materials etc expensive??

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW looks awesome!! might have a go at that one day, are materials etc expensive??
Thanks,
Not realy that expensive, the aquarium sealant is the most costly part (excluding lights etc!) but even that isnt to expensive on line. it takes a lot of time though!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Finaly finished my Bio Active Viv for the porphyraceus coxi (Bamboo Rat Snake)
Its been a long process with months on inactivity, but finaly gor the plants in and some woodlice, springtails and worms in there.
Some photos before I fitted the glass which is now in. Gonna run it for a few weeks to see how the plants go be fore i let the coxi in.
Nothing to Unusual in the plants but i am well pleased with my first planted Viv:2thumb:.
Comments welcomed! and thanks to Ron and Jay for the advice all them months ago!
Thanks for looking
Great looking viv. The wandering Jew and the Porthos will go mad in there so be ready to cut back. You will have loads of cuttings from them. I will interested how you get on with the spider plant. My grow made in the house but don't seem to do well in the viv.

Adam

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great looking viv. The wandering Jew and the Porthos will go mad in there so be ready to cut back. You will have loads of cuttings from them. I will interested how you get on with the spider plant. My grow made in the house but don't seem to do well in the viv.

Adam
Thanks Adam, I will see how the spider goes, wont be too bothered if it fails im not sure i like it now, but will leave it in to see, and let you know.
cheers,

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finaly got aphoto of himin his with a new viv,
the move, a shedding, and a feed has meant that we aint seen much of him for a while but here you go -

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

Took a few shots today of the Eric, plants seem to be doing fine, lost the fittonias (slug!) may try again, spider plant seems to be doing fine although its a bit bleached, added some purple sorrel type plant which is going well.
Had a few Photos die!:blush: but sorted that out now the water wasnt getting to the roots, just dropping behind.
Plants are a bit leggy but i realy dont mind, i cant have too strong a light as the Coxi dont like it. All the little springtails, woodlice and worms (dung heap type) are doing a great job, snake poo is gone in about 3 days! unless its a big one, wich i just remove.
Any way heres a couple of photos.

will try and get one with no reflection next time!

I love the wat he contrasts with the greenery.
PS this is not the main "day" light that is on, i give him 2hrs in the early morning and evening with just a UV before and after the main light comes on.
Thanks for looking

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wow, amazing viv! I'm starting to regret coming into this part of the forum, everyone's vivs and tanks look so good!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Looks really good . Just got into planted vivs myself for phelsuma sp and garters . Got to get some bamboos now ! Like you say the contrest is amazing !!!

Cheers Nick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts