Reptile Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Bob, that's spectacular- it really shows the thought and work that you put into it! :2thumb:

Oh, and your snake is pretty stunning, too! :flrt:

Don't worry if some plants do well and others don't; I'm sure I've said to you (I say it to everyone, lol!) that in two identical vivs, side-by-side, the same plant may flourish in one viv and peg it next door, for no apparent reason, even when you have carefully researched growing conditions, or have used that plant for years. It's one of the joys, and occasionally frustrations of using living plants. For example, someone mentioned the spider plant- I've never been able to grow it successfully in a viv, even though it does fine for me anywhere in the flat or even outside on the balcony. It does need good drainage, and the leaves are quite brittle and easily damaged, but even using it in dryish vivs with small lizards has never quite worked for me. Anyway, well done on a great set-up!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Looks really good . Just got into planted vivs myself for phelsuma sp and garters . Got to get some bamboos now ! Like you say the contrest is amazing !!!

Cheers Nick
thanks Nick, id love to do a big long set up for a few Garters, i think there is a lot of scope for them, similar size too to the Coxi so not "too" destructive!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bob, that's spectacular- it really shows the thought and work that you put into it! :2thumb:

Oh, and your snake is pretty stunning, too! :flrt:

Don't worry if some plants do well and others don't; I'm sure I've said to you (I say it to everyone, lol!) that in two identical vivs, side-by-side, the same plant may flourish in one viv and peg it next door, for no apparent reason, even when you have carefully researched growing conditions, or have used that plant for years. It's one of the joys, and occasionally frustrations of using living plants. For example, someone mentioned the spider plant- I've never been able to grow it successfully in a viv, even though it does fine for me anywhere in the flat or even outside on the balcony. It does need good drainage, and the leaves are quite brittle and easily damaged, but even using it in dryish vivs with small lizards has never quite worked for me. Anyway, well done on a great set-up!
Thanks Ron! (and every one else for the kind comments!) Yeh its one of the things im enjoying the most, having to try new plants, move bits, cut bits, it realy keeps you "involved" with the viv - if that makes sence? with my more sterile set ups, you tend to set them up and apart from cleaning etc, they stay the same for ages, these live ones change every week. the dung heap worms (on your recomendation) work great, i have now i think got the right amount in there to deal with the poo.

I just noticed some funky fungi growing in there now too.

I have lights arived now for my big conversion this summer, moving the Taiwan Beautys into a bio active live viv that should be fun........:whistling2:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Thanks Ron! (and every one else for the kind comments!) Yeh its one of the things im enjoying the most, having to try new plants, move bits, cut bits, it realy keeps you "involved" with the viv - if that makes sence? with my more sterile set ups, you tend to set them up and apart from cleaning etc, they stay the same for ages, these live ones change every week. the dung heap worms (on your recomendation) work great, i have now i think got the right amount in there to deal with the poo.

I just noticed some funky fungi growing in there now too.

I have lights arived now for my big conversion this summer, moving the Taiwan Beautys into a bio active live viv that should be fun........:whistling2:
It makes perfect sense.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts