Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On it's way!!!
Just had Mark on the phone saying he's got a banana cali king, don't know much more about it other than it's about a foot and a half long. Seems fairly tame and handleable.

So, the cali king keepers our there, any tips for our new addition?

Will post piccies tomorrow!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eek!!! just had a call of Mark, and the cali escaped out of the bag it was in transporting it home! it had escaped through the top of the bag where its taped shut!!! They've caught it, 10 mins later hiding in the boot somewhere!

So, first lesson learned, they can get out anywhere!!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well no harm done :)
She's all settled in her home. She is really tame, seems a little nervous when she was taken out of the viv, but once she's being handled she's great.

Just need a name for her!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Re: Banana Cali King...

Kooli said:
On it's way!!!
Just had Mark on the phone saying he's got a banana cali king, don't know much more about it other than it's about a foot and a half long. Seems fairly tame and handleable.

So, the cali king keepers our there, any tips for our new addition?

Will post piccies tomorrow!!

Hi ya

a small tip for you.
they can be very fast and aggresive feeders, watch out for that.
also you could go and buy some dry wash for hands from asda, it does a good job of masking the smell of other snakes you have handled and rodents.
an aggresive feeding cali will respond to food scents on your hands with a nice bite.

the new banana may be a nice and gentle in feed mode or with other food scents but keep what iv said in mind incase he isnt.

Hear is one of mine
male Albino Lavender banana king almost 100% yellow

Paul.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
thats a nice lavender albino there Paul.

good to see he's okay though kooli

hmm a name, if its a male call it shadow... lol even though its banana shadow coz he keeps escaping :wink: tried anyway lol

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Neonius said:
thats a nice lavender albino there Paul.

good to see he's okay though

hmm a name, if its a male call it shadow... lol even though its banana shadow coz he keeps escaping :wink: tried anyway lol

Cheers Neonius

but i dont see why he wouldnt be ok though.

I just call him "ay" he expects food all the time, so iv got this habit of sayin "ay" thats enough of that when i get him out lol

paul.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
o sorry, when i said goo to see he's ok i was referring to the cali king which escaped - soz about that should of said

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the tips! i hadn't thought about the dry wash, you mean the alcohol gel type thing? i'll go get some tomorrow. I've head they are agreessive when they feed. Best way just to put the rodent into the other end of the cage and let her find it herself? Or let her strike for it?

That's a lovely cali king there, i love the yellow on them. Can't wait to show you pics of her!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
well, second day of having her and first bite for kooli! a pic of the bite will follow, and nice pics of the snake too!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
They can have issues indentifying between "finger" and "food", it's nt unheard of for them to swallow your finger down to the knuckle before realising the rest won't fit! These guys don't tend to be malicous, they just love to eat! So watch out for that. They also need to be fed carefully- after eating they will continue to hunt, and may attempt to strike at your finger through their glass. Don't be fooed by "I'm still hungry!" behaviour as the do binge. Otherwise husandry is the same as corns, and they have a real personality :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ouch lol

Nice looking snake!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts