Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to go on an rat forum which had a post for putting your bargain finds or ideas to save money on, for example, "At poundland you can get 3 babies bowls which can be used for water dishes for young snakes for £1" (I dont know if this is true, I am making it up but you get the idea!

It just that so many things are triple the price as they have "reptile" or "rodent" or "equestrian" on and so if you see anything which can be bought a lot cheaper for pets then put it here!!

I dont have anything to start with but please, be my guest somebody!: victory:

(ps I am setting up my baby boas tubs so especially anything for this would be appreciated:blush:)

Emma

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Bestest bargain probably a branch from the hedgerow LOL for my viv, just needed scrubbing and disinfecting for a while before I used it to get rid of nasties. Better than paying £20+ in a shop!

Free, so definitely a bargain, I just looked like a prat trying to fit it into my car on the side of the road!!!!!

:whistling2:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Milk bottle lids as bowls for young leos. Cost- £0, Easy to clean, readily available. I even nicked one off my dad this morning before he binned it :lol2:

also come in different colours, so you can keep them separate per animal.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Flower pot hides, every one knows this one but much much cheaper than traditional hides and you can buy in bulk!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I used the cardboard boxes from the heat bulbs as hides for ours when they were babies, either that or staple boxes and things of that sort of size. Thats free

I use maggot boxes (from a local tackle shop my O/H works in) as moist moss hides now, as they have vented lids and are made of dark black/green plastic so the light dosent leak through. I just upturn them and cut a hole in the side, my lot love them. Plus you can put them in the dishwasher. They are usually only about 50p- £1 each.

All of my snakes have a lump of slate to bask on, from either the local aquatic/garden centre or found by my o/h. We found some nice pieces in cornwall actually but didnt have the reps then.

I dont use reptile plants as theyre over priced, i get silk plants from a local garden centre that has a great range of fake plants. Also find them better because they have the wire centres and the snakes like to climb on them. Usually pick up single stems for £1-£1.50, and vines or larger plants for £4.

My best money saving thing though is something i only started doing a few weeks ago and its making your own hides. Did one out of a piece of guttering covered in tile grout, then painted to look like a log and varnished. Looks great (better then some of the shop ones) and cost next to nothing.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Brilliant idea for a post - Nice one :)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Toilet roll tubes cut in half lengthways make great leo hides

We found the same meshy material used for repti hammocks and ladders in our local garden centre for a couple of quid per square metre. So we made our own ladders.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to add also, dont hold back posting as you think it may be "obvious". This is a core site for many newcomers and there are always things which others dont think about or maybe think arent safe to use when they are!!!: victory:

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
B&Q do plastic plant pot bases for around 80p for 5 of them. They make perfect water bowls and greens dishes for baby beardies.

You can also get coco-fibre poles, used to support tall houseplants, for £2-£3 each. Ideal to use as climbing frames for all manner of reptiles.

Playsand is far, far cheaper than calci sand, and safer to use for reptiles.

Lightbulbs can be bought for around 50p each; these do the same job as "reptile" branded basking lights, but are 1/10 the price.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
You can buy sphagnum moss (moist hide filling) from Focus for less than half the price you'd get it at a rep shop.

Wilkos sell vercumlite (sp??)- used for incubators, too.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
little square mini food tubs the bottom bit makes a fab water bowl for hatchling boxes and being square takes up less space and the top bit makes a fab small lizard bowl or larger calcium dish you get 6 for a quid at poundstrecher :)
p xx

·
Registered
890 Posts
Wilkos sell bags of Sphagnum peat for about 80p. Ideal for spiders, scorps and frogs. Doesnt contain ferts or any crap.
It can be seasonal though but I'm sure garden centers stock it when Wilkos dont. Cheaper alternative to bricks of eco-earth and you end up with more.

Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
i use plastic cereal storers from poundland as moss hides for our royals. they have a pop open lid for going in and out and when you are cleaning out, just shut the door and the snake is inside until you have finished. then put the hide back and open the door. also dish washer safe.

we use slim broken up paving slabs in the bottom of our beardy viv, dusted with sand over the top for a more realsitic but aesthetically pleasing flooring. Hades said he had researched it and found that this method of using a little sand with alot of rocks and stuff was much less likely to lead to an impaction with adult dragons. got a spare slab and wahey, free crazy paving!

i also use coir wall/ hanging basket liners as hides for the royals. cost about 60p each and you just cut a whole in them. they are soft and snug and come in all differnet sizes.

in my arboreal vivs, i just use b&Q budget wooden shelves, none of this fancy crap, they last for ages and can be finished and cut to size.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Someone beat me to some cheap moss but anyway I just found some at "Instore" - not sure if it is sphagnum but is it £1.99 a bag...

Also in reptile shops, water spray bottles are £3 or something but in poundshops and other places, they are £1.

Also, if you get Aubiose from the horse shop, it is about £9 a big bale and does all of my animals! (Snakes, torts and rabbits!): victory:... I know some people advise against it but others say it is ok....

Also, Poundland sells all sorts of stuff which you can adapt into hides and things for reptile, rats and allsorts!

I will think of more but loads of good ideas so far!!!

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
for mealworm dishes for our leos we bought glass tea light holders from wilkos 29p each they are heavy so no chance on being knocked over. for hides we are using wax worm tubs (for hatchlings) for the floor of our beardies vivs them pebble mats you can get out of poundland then only need a lil bit of sand! for a bridge for our beardies we are using bamboo garden edging a bargain at £2.99 for 6'. we buy cuttlefish from wilkos 29p a bag (cheaper than a pet shop) for thermometers we have bought aquarium ones from wilkos 79p each (on ebay for like £1.99 each)......think thats bout it for now lol

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
ive been told bed pans and vomit bowls make great hides if you can get them, theyre disposable too so when wet or damaged just bin and get a new one. i can get hold of them, might start up a little business on here sellin bedpan hides :lol2:

instore and home bargains are good places for little bits of decor. tea towels are cheap from there, a couple of paper clip you can make rat hammocks. ummmmm cant think of owt else right now

·
Registered
890 Posts
Teatowels = rat hammocks!....awesome :2thumb:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just remembered another!!

If you have already tried Gu deserts you will know what I mean but if you get some of the lil Gu deserts (the lil round ones) they come in a lil glass souffle dish which is useful for allsorts! Ashtrays, water bowls, re-using as a desert bowl for creme caramels....!

The added bonus is that the deserts are absolutely GORGEOUS!!!:2thumb:

In addition to the rat idea above, I used to get the cardboard tubes which you can buy for a couple of quid in pet shops (usually stripe, for rabbits) then I put the chains from hanging baskets (think they are 49p from Instore and other places) and suspend them from the bars like this....

And these are some other ideas I got from Poundland -
> the tiles are good for puttingon the floors as they are waterproof and are easily cleanupable when your rat/rodent wees - Pack of 6 for £1

> The lil water bowls am not sure if they still sell em but they were a set for £1

> The lil hanging baskey the rats sed to sleep in it, and they loved hiding in the lil rucksack keyring - both £1

1 - 20 of 176 Posts