Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any experience of using Bark Chips ?

i.e from a very well known DIY store ...thinking of using it on my own viv's looking for feedback , ie ..any cleaning BEFOREHAND needed , bug free ? good for moisture retention ? ( thinking BRB ) . TIA

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you mean the dark brown stuff that is used on flower beds, childrens play areas, etc. - Never used it but from what I've seen of it it's often quite coarse, pretty dirty and would need to be sterilised somehow (in the oven maybe?).
I reckon it would have the same properties as orchid bark (sold as forest substrate by some companies) and would hold moisture pretty well so would only really suitable for species that need a degree of humidity.

It may cost a bit more, but it'd be easier and safer to get some that's specially for reptile use.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yup tend to agree with whats been said ...seems more hassle than its actually worth..came to the same conclusion ...... dont fancy any ' unwelcome ' bugs in it ...pretty sure there would be as well

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Is Bark Bought From A D.I.Y Shop Safe????

Yea that ture i mean i've used the dark brown bark before but i did buy mine from a pet shop as they sell lots of retile from, and i don't think that if bought from a d.i.y shop then it can't be safe can if?

What do you think?????

6.corn snakes
2.cats
4.kids (all boys lol)

·
Registered
111 Posts
no i dont reckon it would be safe because it would be used for plants etc and i doubt the company would spend the money steralising it etc. safer to stick with pet shop stuff =D

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Yea yr right

Yea yr right as it's down to the shop/store really my pet shop is really good and it's called cally pets in islington n1 thats where i now get all my bark/food/everthing really but the snakes are dear in there tho lol.

It may cost me a lot more, but it's easier and safer to buy most/all reptile stuff from a pet shop as it's all specially make for them...

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I Use It For BRB (Which You Know Off With My Topic :p) And It's brilliant for the humiderty needed. And 1949 Sam has a point, ossibility it has some problems and bacteria/parasites and what not, But i put it in the cooker before i place in vivarium - Method Below.

For a bargain, go down to your local BnQ and you can get massive cuboid bags of it for 5.98, And this will last atleast 6 months (Obviously wash/cook every 2-3 weeks - I do anyway). Issa is spot on ;) You can get thebark all different sizes, I have large children Bark, along them lines, Price is £5.98 though, bargain (And tot hink i paid 8 quid for a 10 liter bag of it and this is 100 for 6 :|:p)

To Sterilize/Kill any parasites etc on it. I put in the oven at 150 degrees for 5 minutes a tray. It takes a while, but once your done, the vivariums look stunning. Here's mine in the bark chips i was describing from bnQ;

Eclipse's My BRB's Set Up;

And Jumanji My Royal's Set up;

It's worth the buy, i fully recommend. UKBOB told me of it, and hes a top breeder which thrive succesfully.

·
Registered
439 Posts
hey pete didnt want to post on your LF thread incase i breached the forum rules... :lol2::lol2:

but i've been using the well known DIY store brand for years for substrate for my adult arboreal enclosures, although they are seen on perches in the pics at night they will roam onto the floor of the enclosures and some days my GTPs will also sit on the substrate. anyway as list i keep my GTPs, ETBs and Amazon basins on B&Q bark chips... the main problem i've had is the occasional insect swarm but they are easily dealt with.

kafiau & waigeo GTPs

Male ETB

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I Use It For BRB (Which You Know Off With My Topic :p) And It's brilliant for the humiderty needed. And 1949 Sam has a point, ossibility it has some problems and bacteria/parasites and what not, But i put it in the cooker before i place in vivarium - Method Below.

For a bargain, go down to your local BnQ and you can get massive cuboid bags of it for 5.98, And this will last atleast 6 months (Obviously wash/cook every 2-3 weeks - I do anyway). Issa is spot on ;) You can get thebark all different sizes, I have large children Bark, along them lines, Price is £5.98 though, bargain (And tot hink i paid 8 quid for a 10 liter bag of it and this is 100 for 6 :|:p)

To Sterilize/Kill any parasites etc on it. I put in the oven at 150 degrees for 5 minutes a tray. It takes a while, but once your done, the vivariums look stunning. Here's mine in the bark chips i was describing from bnQ;

Eclipse's My BRB's Set Up;

And Jumanji My Royal's Set up;

It's worth the buy, i fully recommend. UKBOB told me of it, and hes a top breeder which thrive succesfully.
Jumanji is a beautifull name for a royal and what a beautifull snake he is...

6.corn snakes
2.cats
4.kids(all boys lol)

Sam

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
hey pete didnt want to post on your LF thread incase i breached the forum rules... :lol2::lol2:

but i've been using the well known DIY store brand for years for substrate for my adult arboreal enclosures, although they are seen on perches in the pics at night they will roam onto the floor of the enclosures and some days my GTPs will also sit on the substrate. anyway as list i keep my GTPs, ETBs and Amazon basins on B&Q bark chips... the main problem i've had is the occasional insect swarm but they are easily dealt with.

kafiau & waigeo GTPs

Male ETB

Hello there, kafiau & waigeo are wicked names for these two, they are so beautiful and i would love to own one but the price tag is very high for me at the mo, i just love how the change colour as they get older totaly wicked....

6.corn snakes
2.cats
4.kids(all boys lol)

Sam

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hello there, kafiau & waigeo are wicked names for these two, they are so beautiful and i would love to own one but the price tag is very high for me at the mo, i just love how the change colour as they get older totaly wicked....
thanks sam, kafiau & waigeo are the islands that these two GTPs come from;-) i have a habit of not naming my snakes.... also this locale have caused quite a debate as some have remained yellow as adults

regards
bob

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey pete didnt want to post on your LF thread incase i breached the forum rules... :lol2:

kafiau & waigeo GTPs

Male ETB
cheers Bob , so what you do to treat afore you put in viv ..prob I got here is that we not got an oven :lol: we use a micro combi oven ( take ages to treat stuff in as well )....if I could treat easily I would prob use the stuff . How did you treat the swarm ?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
i was working at my local reptile shop and someone had brought in a lil male boa...which had been kept on bark chip, and its whole bellie had been cut and the chips had gone in, then it had healed over and turned to gangreen....it was disgusting....so make sur you use proper ones, i think it was kept on not a pet typr

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmm cant see how the substrate could have cut thru scaled skin ...maybe it was done by something alse ? and the bark got in the cut after ? seems kinda weird that bark could cut ...food for thought

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
like i said, i don tink it was a proper good quality bark that was being used....and these things build up over time, i would have thought the animal didnt get handled for it to go un noticed...its jus disgraceful how animals can be abandoned....and left to rot alive.....

·
Registered
439 Posts
cheers Bob , so what you do to treat afore you put in viv ..prob I got here is that we not got an oven :lol: we use a micro combi oven ( take ages to treat stuff in as well )....if I could treat easily I would prob use the stuff . How did you treat the swarm ?

generally i just rinse the bark to get rid of the finer bits, as for bugs sometimes i'll use the oven sometimes i gamble... got caught out the last time :lol2: so bought a bug zapper to deal with the flying freebies

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
generally i just rinse the bark to get rid of the finer bits, as for bugs sometimes i'll use the oven sometimes i gamble... got caught out the last time :lol2: so bought a bug zapper to deal with the flying freebies
:lol2: ' define ' bug zapper ? wondering if ya could use a roofing blow torch ( ahm serious ! ) like a flame thrower on low setting ...toast the buggers with a quick blast of flame ...without scorching the bark ( hopefully ) .....I think Ive finally lost it here noo pmsl

1 - 20 of 23 Posts